Did I make the right choice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joehalfa, Dec 4, 2007.

1. joehalfa macrumors newbie

I just bought a iMac g5 2.1 with isight 300gb hd 1gb ram off ebay for 750. my question is will ilife o8 and leopard run well on it. and how well compared to the intel processors. are their any limitations besides the backgrounds in photobooth an windows in bootcamp? Will it be a good computer or will if be frustrating to use. Also it will come with tiger so what is best to do first install leopard or ilife and what method of install should i use. thanks so much.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think you would have been much more happy if you at least got an imac with intel. everything is moving that way and your going to find it frustrating in the future i think. its a good computer but i think in the long run a switch to intel would have been the better choice. but by all means enjoy you computer!

3. joehalfa thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an intel macbook which i LOVE. I got this g5 for my family who uses all windows. So i really only care how it runs leopard and ilife 08 now not so much a few years from now. Will it be painfully slow now or no? a new intel imac was out of my price range as well

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree that Intel is the way to go, but that does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that PowerPC based Macs are not worth owning/purchasing at this point in time.

$750 sounds like a good deal for a 20" iMac with a 2.1GHz PowerPC G5 processor and a 300GB HDD. It would most certainly be fine for running Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" and iLife '08. I would however, advise you to upgrade the RAM to 2.5GB if at all possible- that should kick the performance up a notch. Check out this link for some great deals ($59-$69 for a 2GB stick of RAM) on RAM for your iMac from www.datamem.com :)