Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uamwf, Sep 11, 2008.

1. uamwf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just ordered my Macbook Pro for school. I'll be a freshman at University in US and I was wondering if I would've noticed any difference if I had ordered the 2.6 ghz processor? I upgraded on the ram (4gigs) and I got the faster hard drive (200gb, 7200rpm) so would there have really been any difference?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt you would have seen any difference at all. Upping the RAM will give you much more of a noticeable performance boost, especially if you frequently run multiple or large apps.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

2.5GHz to 2.6GHz would not be much different.

You could have saved money by buying your RAM from a 3rd party seller.

Crucial sells 4GB for $85.99

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The difference between the 2.5 and 2.6 is very negligible. I have the 2.6, but it came as part of an Apple retail store configuration that also included the 200GB 7,200-rpm hard drive, 512MB video RAM and a matte display (items that I wanted without having to wait 2 weeks I didn't have by building a custom machine online).

That extra 100MHz probably shaves a few seconds (not too significant) off rendering time in FCP, but it's unnoticeable in virtually everything else I do.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would never for pay for the 2.6GHz upgrade and I would recommend against it for anyone (unless you have no choice).