Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iAlexG, Jul 2, 2009.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I got the 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz with 500GB HD but I have only taken it out of the house twice!!! I also may be taking it to high school on August but that is not necessary. My macbook was $1595 at the cost of portability do you think I would have benefited from the more powerful iMac? (also I play COD4 and Quake Wars on my Macbook, I would have got the second GPU on the iMac)

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just keep it, 13in Macbook Pros are powerful computers.

3. Jamesthatcher macrumors member

only if you needed it. If the speed is quick enough for you, and your happy with the product, yeah you did.

dont worry about what you could of had. You've got it, and if it does what you need it to do it's fantastic!

The laptops are a dream to use, never regret buying them :)

4. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Thanks for the reasurence. I have always used Laptops and I my Macbook Pro is blazing fast but I don't know what the difference would have been

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Agreed. I just rotated from a MBP to a Mac Pro, thinking I wanted more power. I regretted every minute with it - big and cumbersome and oh, so, stuck to the desk. I'm now on a 17" MBP and very, very happy.

6. Jamesthatcher macrumors member

honestly.. barely noticeable, and probs not needed unless you were doing very CPU intensive tasks.

7. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Just get an external monitor if you want. They really do make working at home on the macbook a bunch nicer...

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

You say you only took it out of the house twice, but do you use it around the house? It's pretty nice being able to take a laptop with you to the kitchen to watch something while you make something, or browsing on the can, or sitting on the couch playing a game or something.

9. Shiner macrumors 6502

You will sleep easy at night when you realize a MBP and an imac are both laptops. One is harder to carry around with you while the other is meant for portability. Apple does not make a desktop except for the macpro and that was not in your price range. People are often fooled into thinking they are buying an amazing desktop computer when they see an imac. It is a laptop with a big screen that you can't carry. That is all. All of the parts except the hard drive are laptop parts.

10. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Excellent advice!

Just add a USB hub with some peripherals (keyboard, mouse, printer, whatever else you use) and some speakers and you'll have the best of both worlds.

You bought the right thing. You can use a laptop as a desktop with the above mentioned but you cannot use a desktop as a laptop under any circumstances.

11. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Thanks for the advice guys!! I will probably get the apple wireless keyboard later this summer. Can I use my Samsung 40" HDTV as an external monitor? If so, what connectors will I need etc for the best picture?

12. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Ok there are 2 ways you can connect it.

1.Get a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI and get a DVI to HDMI cable and connect the HDMI end to your TV. As for audio, get those Tosnlink (don't know how its spelled lol) cables with a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end to connect to your MBP and the other end to your TV, speakers, receiver, etc. Or a 3.5mm heaphone cable to RCA which has the Red/White cable to connect to the back of your TV.

2. Get a Mini-Display Port to HDMI from monoprice.com and a HDMI cable. And the same way for audio as I said above.

13. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Ok great thanks. I plan on buying:

HDMI 6ft Cable just $0.23 on Amazon
    Belkin Audio Splitter RCA thingy $1.98 Amazon
    Eforcity DVI to HDMI Adapter $0.50 Amazon
    All have good reviews so I will go for it

Also:
    Apple Mini Display Port DVI adaptor
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (so I can use my macbook on my 52" HDTV in the living room, I already have the wireless mouse)
    Finally the Speck SeeThru (when it comes out for Macbook Pro 13, and im going to use Devcamp50 coupon code for 50% OFF!!!!) And since I can get 50% off I might as well get the CandyShell for my Ipod Touch too.

14. pinak macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I also have the same question as iAlexG, but, for me it's this : I just bought an iMac 20" no upgrades and, since I will start video editing through my school years, did I do a good decision getting a iMac or should I have gotten a Mac Book ?

15. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well if your going to be in college, I would have got a Macbook Pro because you will need the portability. I wouldn't want to bring home a big iMac every holiday. But if your in high school, I say the iMac is fine.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Exactly. I was set on getting rid of my MacBook Pro because my college is giving a Lenovo notebook and then getting an iMac, but the whole going home thing made me switch.

17. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I think it's the same with all things in life: If you're asking yourself this question, then maybe you haven't made the right choice. Otherwise you would know and feel without a doubt that you did the right thing.

Besides that, Macs are the worst possible choice for gaming anyway. Keep the notebook for your computing needs (because it's a good machine) and buy an Xbox 360 for gaming (nothing beats the Xbox 360 gaming experience).

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Go on craigslist and find yourself a nice large external monitor to hook up to your mbp. Win!

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

My Macbook Pro hasn't left the house in two months. Since I spend an unhealthy amount of time on the computer, a change of view is nice to have. With that Macbook you can freely move about your house. You can lie on the couch and watch tv while surfing, or you could sit next to a desk or go outside...

20. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I actually have a 40" Samsung HDTV next to my desk so I don't really need a monitor.

Well I'm going to buy those cables so I can hook it up to the TV and the wireless keyboard will help because when I play games my fingers start to burn after 15mins because the logic board is beneath the top left corner of the keyboard. Also I'll be able to play my games on the TV. I will also be able to sit in bed and surf the net etc without burning my lap (and you know what is rumored to happen when you have a hot laptop on your lap right?). I also have a lot of movies on my macbook :apple: that I don't have on DVD so i can watch them too since I hate watching a movie in front of a 13" display

Winni: I have an Xbox 360 but I just moved from UK to USA:cool: and my Xbox live profile has become corrupted and I cannot recover but I'm perfectly happy to play on my macbook since I have cod4 and quake :D

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly, I agree with this completely. Get the laptop and get an external monitor if you think you may need it.

Cheers and good luck

22. organicpixels macrumors member

I hate to tell you this, but you should of got a 15" MBpro from either the refurb dept or 3rd party for that price. IMHO

23. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG