Did i Make the right Decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimboJones8507, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jimboJones8507 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone
    I'm currently going into my final year of university and have had a 13 inch macbook pro thus far. My main complaints with the machine were the bad resolution and glossy displays. I finally managed to sell it and the 15 inch retina was a no brainer. I went into the store, today to take a look at the machine. Beautiful, however the scrolling under the 1920*1200 was terrible. Expose was choppy etc. I'm assuming this is largely attributable to the integrated GPU as things were smoother with the 650m. Yes i did make sure the scrolling update had been installed. Anywho, i decided to come back and find something else. I came across this http://store.apple.com/ca/product/G0M33LL/A and i ended up ordering it+16gb of ram from newegg. I bought it largely because of the anti-glare screen/being sick of the 13inch. Would members of the forums suggest a different product?
    Thanks

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Are you taking this to class or is it just gonna stay on your desk? If the former then, yes, you might regret it.

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I have been pretty happy with the 1920x1200 screens, myself. Lack of a 17" is one of the reasons I haven't ordered a new machine...

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Personally 17" is way too big for me to be carrying around in college. I'm headed to grad school and I think the new retina will be perfect. Weighs less than my current 13" MBP and will be just the perfect size. Awesome screen real estate and obviously faster than the 13" MBP/MBA.

----------

I checked out the new retina at the apple store and the glare is significantly reduced!

----------

+1

17" MBP at 6.6 lbs. 2 lbs heavier than the 13" MBP you have. That's alot of extra extra weight, not to mention it would also take up a considerable amount of work space, especially if your taking it to class.

5. Martialis macrumors member

Yes, because you are buying a refurbished model from last year that costs essentially the same as some of this year's offerings, or is even more expensive when the student discount is applied.

Also your only reason for not getting the retina was that, 24 hours after the product was released, Apple was still doing post-release patching to make GPU switching work properly?

I mean, I would have just been patient and waited a few weeks for all those things to be ironed out, since it really isn't representative of the product.

Seriously, with the student discount, the 2.3GHz RMBP is $1,999, only $50 more expensive than the refurbished, year old model you bought. I can pretty much guarantee that Apple is scrambling to get an update out to fix the scroll lag, since they don't want people complaining about that bug killing their sales.... sooo...

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Agreed, I think you made your decision too quick. Trust me you will regret carrying a 17" to college. Cancel your order and get the base 15" retina with 16GB ram.

7. alyshehata macrumors member

I'm really sorry mate, but you might end up regretting it. think of it this way. you paid 2,000 in a laptop with 4 gigs ram, mid-range graphic card, and not to mention refurbished. Yeah , you get 500gb more storage and an optical drive, but you can buy a 500 gb USB 3.0 HDD for 50$ and an optical drive for 25$. if you had put in a few hundred dollars you could've gotten yourself a NEW macbook pro with 8gb RAM, mid-range graphics card, AND the godly retina display.

I know you were worried about the scrolling and UI issues, but i think a simple software update WILL fix it. since its not happening on ALL devices I'm willing to bet it's software. Give it a month or two, and this laptop will be beast.

8. trollbert macrumors newbie

A refurb 2011 for the same price as the new retina w/student discount? I fail to see any logic in your purchase at all.

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Comes to $2,179.00 after education discount and you also get a $100 gift card, which is easily sells for $90+ on eBay.

I look at it coming to under $2100 before taxes!

10. jimboJones8507 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for all the replies. I guess what i will do is try it out for a week and return it if i don't like it. I'm pretty sure apple has removed restocking fees.

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Honestly, I wouldnt even bother. Just cancel it now and order the retina.

12. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

13. Martialis macrumors member

This. Seriously. There isn't any reason to try it. You can get a much higher quality laptop for the exact same price. It doesn't really matter if you are satisfied or not with the refurbished, if you are going to spend around 2 grand on a laptop, you might as well get the one with the most recent components. There is no rational reason to buy the refurbished model.