Did I make the right decision? :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DancetoExpress, Aug 2, 2010.

1. DancetoExpress macrumors newbie

After much convincing, I persuaded my dad to get me a Macbook Pro 15-inch instead of a regular Macbook for college. My college major, graphic design, requires me to have a Macbook of some sort and I thought, "Well, the Macbook Pro would suit my needs better". However, when making the purchase, I didn't add an iPod of any sort because I already have an iPod Touch 8GB. I mean, why pay more tax and such? Plus my dad has always given me a mouthful about "failing" to do rebates, which I haven't.

ANYWAYS, now I'm sort of regretting not adding an iPod to my order, because the rebate is online and everything, so it couldn't have gone wrong. I know I'm just rambling on now and that the matter of my dad's trust about the whole rebate situation is a huge factor, but I can't help but feel as if I missed out on a good opportunity.

Sorry if this post is full of errors and such, I just want to see what others think.

2. daver11 macrumors regular

If your dad is/was paying for the iPod, then of course you made a mistake.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

As to the MacBooks, the extra power of the MBP would come in handy, I think.

No matter what you get, you always end up wanting something else afterwards. Forget about it :)

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No....sorry to be blunt : /

Rebates always come back. The only time they don't is if the person filled them out wrong. Years ago I worked at Circuit City and Best Buy and at CCity they offered a "service" to fill out your rebates for you and if they didn't come back you could come in the store and get your money.

Not once did we ever have someone come back to the store to get their money because they all received their rebates.

I can't tell you how many times I've sent rebates in and I've always gotten every single one back.

5. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, you should have gotten the iPod. You basically just lost $150-200. Apple is great about their rebates. I got the iPod and printer with my MBP and the rebate checks came in about 6 weeks. I mean honestly, it's not too late to do it. You could always return the machine and then buy it back with the iPod attached.

If you don't need it, sell it. That's what I ended up doing.

6. jonnycage41 macrumors newbie

According to me you made a mistake not going for buying an Ipod with the Macbook Pro 15-inch you purchased online. Now just keep checking if rebates appears sooner or later else what are you waiting for go make up your father's mind once agian sale this one and buy a new one. .....:D

7. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

C'mon, stop having remorse about not expending more money for something you don't need. And about the rebate, the online part is only the beginning, you still have to mail things and wait for a cheque to arrive on the mail.

Start enjoying your new MBPro! You will find it great for your major.

8. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

It takes five minutes. Literally. And that's if you're watching TV and making dinner at the same time.

The 'spending more money for something you don't need' argument is sort of moot, because he'd get most all of that money back. Therein lies the point of the rebate...

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You don't mail anything. You fill out a 2 second form on Apples site and they mail you a check.

10. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

11. Snips macrumors regular

Something tells me this kid spends more time watching TV than making dinner.

Geez.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I made a similar mistake with not adding a printer. After my Mac came in I had second thoughts. I called Apple and they added it to my order free of charge and I got the rebate.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I bought my son a Macbook Pro for college and I took the iPod Touch because he already had one. I just wanted it to tinker. After all, I had my Blackberry so what possible use could I have for an iThing? Now it is my main PDA and has 8 pages of apps, a few hundred songs and thousands of photos on it. More useful than any PDA I've ever owned. Though I must admit I almost never use it for listening to music.

All was well until he left his on an airplane. Now he looks longingly at mine and I aint' givin' it up! (Though I might imagine something similar could wind up under the tree this Christmas, depending on grades of course).

Did you make a mistake passing on the "free" iPod Touch, even if you had to pay tax? I say yes you did. I had to pay $119 to get my daughter's iPod Touch replaced when she cracked her screen. That's a lot more than paying the tax on a "free" iPod Touch. I'm glad I took the freebie when I did, even if it got me addicted to iThings. While you already have one, the free one could have been a spare. These things are slippery and they do get dropped you know.

14. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

I would love to have gotten a free Touch or iPod with the purchase of my new Mac, but they were not offering it for the Mac mini, only on the more expensive desktops.

15. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

So worst case you pay ... $10-20 tops in sales tax as you had mentioned and get an ipod touch that you can resell or gift to someone (maybe a parent for getting you the MacBook Pro).

I do think you made a mistake there. As mentioned though I believe Apple would let you add it and still give you the rebate. If not return it to a retail store (here I am assuming you are near one) and tell them the situation and I am more than sure you can get it done.

As far as MB vs MBP ... If you are into graphics I think you made the better choice there. Enjoy your Mac and good luck in school. Don't party too much!

16. redshift1 macrumors regular