did i mess up my macbook pros speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okrelayer, Feb 12, 2009.

  1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    #1
    I have the october unibody macbook pro. I was in logic pro, messing around with loops and sounds and such. And i decided to play a "surround sound" sample, and my speakers POPPED, and i had no sound on the speakers what so ever. Nothing would play. itunes songs or anything.

    I restarted and i hear music and such. But i am wondering if i damaged the speakers? I am freaking out since i dont hear much bass on it. I know the bass is pretty weak typically, but i am wondering if its possible i screwed up something..
     
  2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #2
    Why don't you listen to music and see if they sound different? I can't imagine Apple would design the speakers to have a lower tolerance than the system could output. If you have sound and it's not distorted or on one side only, I think you are fine. Use headphones and turn the volume down next time ;)
     
  3. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    #3
    unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) i listen to music maybe 95% on headphones. and the other 5 percent are just playing random streaming internet clips. I just get worried that i might have screwed up something. I dont know really how BASSY the macbook pro speakers are, because of my lack of listening. I just listened to music on it now and i hear very little bass, while my dads crappy acer laptop has tons of bass (although really horrible clarity)
     
  4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #4
    Since you don't use them but 5% of the time, I wouldn't bother pursuing the issue unless they stop working or continue to pop, sizzle, or make other undesirable noises.
    They play mid and high tones better than most other laptops, but the bass is quite lacking in the Macbook line.

    Those crappy PC laptop speakers generally have better bass bc the subwoofer is larger because there is more space in their thicker body.
     
  5. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    #5
    fair enough. I also started messing around with the EQ in iTunes. So that added a bit more "bump" as the kids say. I typically like everything to have no eq, for the most natural sound possible. But while listening through the internal speakers i can dabble in EQ a tad. Yes the mids and highs (ie:clarity) is very good on the pros. It gets quite loud to. But like you said the bass seems to suffer. Personally i would rather it to have good clarity, over muddy bass. Thanks for your help.
     
  6. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #6
    The MacBook Pro speakers are fine for that, handle it fine.

    But I'm concerned about the pop - that isn't normal. If you have an Apple Store near you, might be worth going in and saying what happened. Could be something else that caused the speakers to pop other than what you think it is.
     
  7. tumelo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    #7
    No Bass on my MacBook Pro

    I've had the same problem for about 4 months now, I was messing around with VirtualDJ and not that I know what I was doing. The volume was quite high and when I left the program to play just my music on itunes, the bass was gone, my system is only playing highs and it doesn't help that my warranty is over.

    I'm hoping it is a settings issue *crossed fingers* and not hardware, can anyone help.
     

Share This Page