Did I miss battery life on the Series 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 66gonzo, Sep 7, 2016.

1. 66gonzo macrumors regular

Did they completely gloss over the battery life for the Series 2 watches? Adding GPS means that the battery life could get hit by those who will be using the watch for running/cycling w/o their phones. I wonder what their best guess will be??

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

3. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

ya.... I'm starting to rethink buying a new one!

4. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

No mention if improved or not. I'm disappointed that they did not mention anything because the batter life for the AW2 is on top of my list........ I'm seriously considering just getting the new Fitbit charge HR 2 ......I'll wait until the specs comes out then decide.

5. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Battery on both is listed "up to 18 hours". Go to compare models and it shows no change in battery life.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    http://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Scroll to the bottom.

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

If you go to their website both are listed the same.

7. 66gonzo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! When I looked at the Series 2 section of the Apple site, it really didn't tell me much other than what the keynote had said.

8. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Thank you for the info. I am disappointed with the battery life. 18 hours rating is not enough for me. I use my Fitbit to track my activities including sleep........ AW2 no bueno. It kills me because I'm such a fanatic.

9. 66gonzo thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. I was really hoping for AT LEAST 48hrs. 18hrs of battery on a smart watch will probably be cut in half once you go on one 30min GPS run. My Garmin 630 has a standby (with notifications) of 4 weeks, and if I run 30-40 min every day, I generally have to plug in once a week. I guess I'll just have to test it out and see.

10. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

So, how much will apple charge me for a new battery for the AW2?

11. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

Guys when you get one you'll realise it's really not that difficult to charge each night and one day is plenty.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wonder how the GPS will impact the battery.

13. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Absolutely agree with him. The watch died on me (meaning it went to power safe mode where you can still read the time) only twice in more than a year now. Usually it still has 45% left in the evening.

14. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Ok Brodie, I'll take your word for it. I will try it out - I can always do a test run for a week or two and decide if it's not for me. Don't get me wrong, I do like all the feature it comes with it, I'm just worried that with a mediocre battery life may turn me off using it. I'll pre-order it, use it and will testify =)

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I can't imagine it's actually the same.. yes, the processor is faster but that increase doesn't have the same increase in power demand.. the GPS different story.
    I think we're going to see better BL regardless.

Personally, I only charge the watch once every two days, with a workout a day. works fine.

16. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Battery has not been a problem. I wear mine to bed with a silent alarm and use a sleep tracker app. I wake with about 90-92% after 16 months. I workout for an hour and when I shower, it is at 78-80%. As I shower and get ready, it goes on the charger. 20-30 minutes later it is at 95% and when I put on the charger at 8-9pm it's at 45-55%. Worst case was 30-35%.

I put it back on between 9-10pm at 100%. Repeat :)

17. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Sounds like a good routine. I guess it's good to have those iphone AW combo charger for the night stand, so I can just drop it there any time for half an hour when in the shower.

18. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Can we turn off the GPS? Maybe we can save some energy :)

19. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Exactly what I have. Though I created one by moving the watch charger into the phone charger at the bottom. Works great.

20. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Maybe on average - but if someone is using this to go on a longer workout, or something that actually utilizes the GPS a lot, it may be the case where the watch gets killed super fast (faster than it would with the old AW. My assumption is it'll last longer in all situations except when using the GPS.

I'm wondering the same. I would assume, like phones, it will drain pretty dramatically (compared to any other task), but will still last through a few hours of activity.

That would be very nice, as not every single person will be utilizing it, and therefore they would benefit from a larger battery, without needing to drain it during GPS usage.

21. Ritte macrumors regular

Would be great if we could use the phones GPS instead.

22. FourOhFour macrumors member

From http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html it can do a 5 hour workout with GPS on, 8 without. Also sounds like if you carry your phone the watch's GPS won't be used.

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

So GPS use eats up about 40% more battery while in use. That was to be expected. Tbh 4-5 hours battery life should be fine for a very long outdoor activity, but it certainly isn't going to be an all day device if you are on an extended trip; which it isn't expected to be.

24. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Another thing most people are neglecting that needs to be considered in battery life is the new brighter display. To increase the output 2x to 1000 nits requires about 10x the power (power is exponential to output). While the screen will (likely) only show full brightness in full sunlight and for a brief time it will eat battery life.

25. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

While a very relevant factor, I think since that will come in surges, it's best to look at screen off time as a "general" indicator of battery life - at least at this point.