Did I miss something about iLife 08? Not shipping for free with Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jiddick ExRex, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Doesn't iLife 08 ship for free with Leopard? Or did I misunderstand something?

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

iLife is not part of Leopard. It usually comes installed on a new system, but never when you just buy the os.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, correct. Although, there was a Tiger / iLife / iWork bundle that gave you all three at a savings (albeit a small one). It'll be interesting to see if they do this again.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

6. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I sure hope they do. I'm planning on buying all three on Friday. That would be nice to save even more.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Haha, I guess getting a Mac Mini in the process is a good deal. :p

8. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

bear in mind that the mac mini installer DVD only install in mac mini and not other types of mac...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, of course. I was being sarcastic. ;)

10. teiresias macrumors regular

So what if I've bought a new iMac and am getting Leopard from up-to-date? After I install Leopard are the iLife apps available on the Tiger discs that came with my iMac to install iLife '08? If so, where can I find it? (Sorry, not at home to check right this minute. :) )

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can install iLife '08 from the iMac discs in Leopard:

1. Download Pacifist

2. Once you have the program open and "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" in the drive click on "Open Apple Install Packages" in the Pacifist window.

3. After loading for a minute it gives you a list of all the apps you can install from the disc.

ps. I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules. After all, he did purchase the software.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You don't need Pacifist, you just run the Install Optional Applications installer on the Tiger DVD and choose the ilife apps.

13. teiresias macrumors regular

Yeah, just found that under the Apple support page, though it's pretty buried and not really jumping out at you when you go looking for this kind of information. Thanks for the info, guys! Was just worried I'd have to use my $100 credit at Amazon to rebuy iLife instead of using it to buy iWork '08 like I wanted. :) (or maybe an eyeTV, I haven't decided yet).

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahhh, didn't know that. Thanks!

15. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So, new machines will have Leopard and iLife 08 included but not if you only buy the OS?

Good to know since I am ordering a MBP tomorrow :p

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yes. iLife is bundled with hardware, it is *not* a part of the operating system.

This is because Apple wants to be on the safe side regarding possible law suits. Microsoft keeps bundling stuff to the operating system and people can complain about it as much as they want to. Apple on the other hand has a clean operating system that is not biasing competition; however, people think that iLife is part of the OS because every OSX-capable computer has some version of iLife bundled in.

So no, iLife/iWork is not a part of the operating system. Whatever the hardware-maker-Apple wants to bundle to the hardware purcases has nothing to do with what the software-maker-Apple includes to the operating system. These are two different things as far as law suits are concerned ;)

I know it's silly, but we live in a world that has far too many lawyers...

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Please bear with my special little brain here. But I want to be clear on this.

I have an intel imac with Tiger and ilife (not 08), just as it was purchased / bundled last year.

So if I upgrade to Leopard, I will be able to re-install ilife from my Tiger backup/restore DVD? (planning on performing a clean install with Leopard)

TIA

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You'll be able to install iLife 06 from the install discs with your fresh Leopard install, no problem.

19. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Do an archive and install rather than a clean install. It will keep all your existing applications, photo and itunes libraries and all other data intact. It will create an "old/previous system folder" so essentially it does a clean install but keeps all your settings, mail, data, programs everything as it is. Once you determine that everything is working correctly, you can dump/delete the old system folder. This is better than an upgrade b/c you can revert to the old system folder if anything goes wrong, as well as not having to backup all data and reinstall all programs and setup all your preferences again. But it gives you the advantages of a clean install by giving you a new system folder. After you delete the old system folder, you can even use disk utility to Erase the free hard drive space. This will write zeros to all the areas of your drive that are currently free w/o affecting your OS and data. You can even do a 7 or 35 pass zero out on this area to securely wipe those portions of the drive.

Don't fall into the misconception that for the optimal performance of the new OS you need to wipe your drive and start over and then remigrate your data in. That is just a waste of time, IMHO.

20. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Thanks for the answers.

I'll try the archive and install option, I'm just a tad leery of it. My Tiger install was due for a fresh start, as my imac has slowed down considerably booting up. Getting serious beach-ball hang-time launching programs like ichat and calendar. I put rebuilding off, knowing that Leopard was only a month away (at the time) But, in the past year, I've installed a lot of programs, widgets and trials, and since removed them. (born-again Mac user, had to rediscover what programs were worth having all over again)

With 3 gigs of ram, my system is nowhere near as speedy as it used to be (back when it had only 1).

I'll do the archive and install, and if it isn't feeling nimble enough, I can always nuke and rebuild.

Thanks again,

21. hddad8080 macrumors newbie

I just purchased an iMac with Leopard installed. iLife comes installed on the on the computer:)

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well o/c it does. iLife is always a part of the basic bundle. However, those with iLife 06 won't get iLife 08 with Leopard. They'll have to buy it separately, or as mkrishnan points out, Apple has offered a bundle package in the past to help mitigate the cost.