Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maximus38

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Two weeks ago i bought a 'brand new' iMac for around £850.......now when I logged on I saw that the new range is out, the one I just bought would have been £150 cheaper, even the new 17" with the better specs would have been £50 less!!
I didn't see anything advertising the new range, or i would surely have waited.......did I just miss it?? Do Apple always release new products without any previous fanfare or advertising? Or am I just unlucky this time? :(

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
no Apple don't say that new things are coming, they just release it.
it happens. its technology. there is always something new around the corner.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Maximus38 said:
Two weeks ago i bought a 'brand new' iMac for around £850.......now when I logged on I saw that the new range is out, the one I just bought would have been £150 cheaper, even the new 17" with the better specs would have been £50 less!!
I didn't see anything advertising the new range, or i would surely have waited.......did I just miss it?? Do Apple always release new products without any previous fanfare or advertising? Or am I just unlucky this time? :(
If they made a point of advertising upcoming systems, it would canibalize sales from the current products.

EDIT: PlaceofDis, stop following me! (or, in this case, beating me here!) :)

brightlights

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
UK
Maximus38 said:

you missed nothing my friend.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Maximus38 said:
just how it goes.. sorry. :(

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Maximus38 said:

Only if you were a member of this forum 3 weeks ago :(

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
No, Apple are famously secretive about product updates. That's why sites like MacRumors exist. Basically the Mac rumour mill gets all the information together and tries to predict when updates are coming and what they will be.

Loads of people get caught out by this, so don't feel too bad.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Maximus38 said:

You are just out of 14 day no questions asked product return period too.

Oeuf.

I bought a 20" Cinema display for £1000, later that week you could buy the same monitor with better specs for £549 and I didnt know about the return period. Poo!

Keep tabs on MacRumors and you'll figure out when to buy and when not to buy. Sort of. :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There have been hints here on this site and other sites, but Apple doesn't give explicit forewarning of new releases.

Note that the new entry-level model that you seem to be comparing yours to has integrated graphics, no Bluetooth, no remote, and a combo drive in place of the SuperDrive.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
No, they tend to launch new products without previous fanfare - after all, if they advertised that new, improved products were being released in a couple of months time, who'd want to buy one now?

If it makes you feel any better, rest assured that the machine you've got now is by no means underpowered and will serve you well for some time to come - it's not exactly become obsolete overnight. But I understand your frustration, especially as you would have saved some cash.

Caesar0801

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
yes, it's technology, but especially with apple...
Unlike Dell and others Apple tries to keep what's coming
very secret... and this way the buyers never know what to expect
and Apple can still make money with "older" products...
its quite smart of them marketingwise, because they know people
will love them anyway (enough Mac-communities to testify...)

I'm in a similar situation... I want to buy a MBP, but I'm eagerly awaiting
the Merom upgrade... but of course... Apple isn't releasing any info :(

so I guess I'll just have to keep waiting...

grtz,

Caesar0801

Maximus38

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks guys. I feel a little reassured......I know this machine will be fine, I was going to upgrade the RAM anyway, and i'm aware of the fact that new upgrades are always just around the corner......still, it's frustrating!!
As for the 14 day return period, i'd forgotten about that......I'm guessing PC World will take a dim view of me attempting to return this one, they'll know damn well why!:rolleyes:

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I just bought 4 iMac's prior to the upgraded versions coming out. The previous models met my needs exactly, which is why I bought them, plus there's the added bonus of knowing the machine had been in production for a while and any issues, though there are few with iMac's, would have been worked out.

The price difference is a little frustrating, especially as in my case it's x4, but fortunately the performance difference isn't that great in the real world. If I'd wanted the 24" model then wow, I'd have been gutted I must admit. Fortunately I didn't!

eyup

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Maximus38 said:
As for the 14 day return period, i'd forgotten about that......I'm guessing PC World will take a dim view of me attempting to return this one, they'll know damn well why!:rolleyes:

They ain't got no choice if u return it within 14 days - blemish free of course. "Know your rights! These are your rights!"
Joe Strummer RIP

eyup

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
UK
PC World T & C

If you have chosen to have your order delivered, you can cancel your purchase at any time either before or up to 14 days after delivery by:

* returning the product to one of our stores (please bring your receipt with you and the card you paid with, so that it can be credited);
* following the 'Returns' instructions in your delivery documentation;
* emailing us at sales@pcworld.co.uk;
* phoning us on 0870 242 0444 - please have your order reference number and delivery details to hand;
* writing to after sales, P.O. Box 1925, Sheffield, S2 5XW (please do not post products to this address).

Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Pre-recorded videotapes, DVDs, CDs, minidiscs and other software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must also be returned.

You will receive a full refund, and the cancellation is free of charge provided you return the product to a store, arrange for it to be collected from the delivery address or use one of our pre-paid returns labels. If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs.

We cannot cancel your purchase when:

* you have chosen a Collect@Store option;
* you return your product to a store without proof of purchase;
* there is a contract for services with the product and you have started using the services (this would include e.g. a mobile phone subscription, but not an extended warranty service agreement);
* the seal has been broken on any software including games; or
* the goods were a special order to your specification.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Apple does have a thing here where if you buy a product that gets updated within a certain time period, they'll give you the difference in the form of a rebate or gift card. Call them and find out.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
solvs said:
Apple does have a thing here where if you buy a product that gets updated within a certain time period, they'll give you the difference in the form of a rebate or gift card. Call them and find out.

Does anyone know the time period?

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I had a similar thing happen to me several years ago, so now I make sure and stay in the loop with Apple product cycles and rumors. 30 days after buying a G3 blue and white tower, Apple released the G4. Way faster and for less money. It was a major update and I was pissed off that I got burned.

There is no guarantee you can buy at the right time, but having an eye on the product cycles along with some patience, certainly helps with your future buying decisions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.