did I order the right Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by humanliberty, Mar 16, 2015.

1. humanliberty macrumors newbie

Pulled the trigger on the updated 13" retina pro.

2.9 i5, 512 ssd, 16gb ram, with company discount at $1880.

Now I am second guessing myself.

The computer will be used for Adobe programs by my wife, mostly indesign. But it will also be used for After Effects. Our current computer is a 13" mid 2013 air with 8gb ram and 1.3ghz processor. I love the size of the 13 inch, and feel that buying a model that hasn't been updated in ages would be a bad move, but understand the quad core is much faster. Maybe we'd be better off buying a cheaper model, for example the 2.7 i5 256 ssd with 8gb ram for only 1400, or maybe just upgrade the ram to 16 for 180$ for a total of 1580 incl discount.

How much does the 8 to 16 gb ram upgrade matter for Adobe after effects? Maybe I should buy the cheaper 13" and sell it when the new ("thinner and lighter") 15" comes out.. Decisions! What do you guys think.

Glad about the 2 week return policy.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

As far as I can tell, the 13 inch MBP Retina doesn't offer a quad core processor...

3. appleminion macrumors member

I had the same dilemma, first i ordered the 2.7 i5 256 ssd with 16gb ram but thought that 256 ssd was too little for storing photos and hd videos so i went with the 16gb 512ssd. I think it'll help futureproof it more. But my only concern is the anti-reflective display coating wearing off. Hope I don't get a bad batch *fingers crossed*

4. humanliberty thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, I was referring to the old 15 inch quad core as an alternative, but feel bad about buying technology that hasn't been update in a long time.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Right, well I bought my refurb MBP 12 days ago, and it is as responsive as my Retina iMac. I mainly wanted the 15" for the screen size.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The 15" MBP has a much more powerful CPU and dedicated graphics card, so it's still a better computer than the 13" even though it hasn't been updated in almost two years.
    I know this because my wife uses a late 2013 15" and I use the 13".

7. steveyo macrumors regular

You should've bought a 15", or a WINDOWS based laptop, due to the apps you are using.... Adobe released papers that clearly showed how important the CPU was, the 15" is superior to the 12-13" offerings in this department.