Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Hi,

My mother is going to Croatia on wednesday and she asked me to go buy her an energy convert or outlet converter of sorts. We're live in the US and the energy outlets / outputted energy is different. Years ago when I went traveling with my father he had an energy converter or outlet converter (not sure if there's a difference between these) and while I was playing on the family laptop the outlet went in flames. Apparently the computer converted the energy and the energy converter was converting it again or something.

So, my question is, did I purchase the right instrument? My mother is going to be using her iTouch and point and shoot camera while she's there and I don't want her friend's house going up in flames.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_supplies/doc62/62560.pdf
That's a link to what I bought.

ogxnqb.jpg

A picture.

So to sum it up
I need something that will let me charge my US appliances (iTouch, Camera) in Croatia. The camera is a Sony and the charger looks like this (except it plugs directly into the wall.)
BC-CSK.jpg=600

Any help is appreciated!

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
-There's no such thing as an iTouch. It's called an iPod touch.
-Croatia uses the common 220 V / 50 Hz standard european 2-prong plug.
-The thing you bought will work fine.

Ah, thank you. Even my mother corrects me about what you said; each time I say iTouch she pretends she does not know what I am talking about.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Whoa! Slow down, Cochise.

First, look on the back of your camera's charger. It will say what the acceptable voltage range is for that charger. Most of your Sony chargers will be dual voltage. Check the back and be sure. Look for something like this:

110-240V 50-60Hz

If so, you don't need the voltage converter. In fact, you shouldn't use that voltage converter. You just need to plug converter.

Most Apple device chargers are dual voltage as well, so again, you should not use that voltage converter, either. Check the side/back of the charger to be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.