Did I purchase the right rmbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adjohan, Dec 10, 2013.

1. adjohan macrumors newbie

I purchased the new 13" rmbp around last week, I got the high-end 2.6GHz, 8GB memory and 512GB flash storage. I have not even opened the box at all since I've been pretty busy with stuff. Right now I'm wondering if I made the right decision or should i shell out the extra money for the 15" rmbp 2.3GHz, 16GB memory and 512GB flash storage plus the 2GB nvidia graphics.

What I will mostly be doing with this computer:
    1. encode my big collection of dvd into mkv or mp4 format using Handbrake
    2. working with adobe application (indesign, illustrator, photoshop) for some side photography plus my work

:confused: What do you guys think/suggest? I still have until this Saturday, December 14 to return for full refund/exchange…

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Y would u need the 15" ?
    With your use and since u work with dvds a lot i suggest the standard mbp. That has a optical.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you do lots of encoding, you're going to need the hyper threading capabilities of an i7. Not just a dual-core i7 mind you, but a quad core i7 (which has 8 threads. Regular dual core i5s and i7s in 13" rMBPs have 4 threads).

If you run Adobe apps simultaneously (for instance Ae, Id and Ps), you're going to need 16GB of RAM.

Note that RAM is not upgradeable post-puchase on rMBPs and that you should always buy the max amount of RAM as possible.

4. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I have the 2.8, 16GB 1TB version of the 13" and use it for heavy duty professional photo work while traveling, some video work. It is unbelievably powerful for the super light weight and compact size it is.

And I am not talking amateur camera owner sideline work photography, I am talking full time, high dollar, get the job done with 100-600MB files photography.

If a laptop were my only computer, I might consider the 15", but since it is not, the 13" is truly a no-brainer.....

5. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

keep it bro

your more than in good hands with that notebook

mine is fantastic and its lower ended than yours

6. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I shelled out the bucks for the top of the line current 15 inch retina mbp... it's an investment for sure but I'm very happy with the purchase.

I play games (Battlefield 4) on bootcamp in windows.
    I do coding in XCode on the Mac
    Photoshop/Illustrator and After Effects... so I'm loving the new mbp.. but it was quiet an expenditure.. but totally glad I got it and hopefully this will set me up for the next 4 years... I hope..

7. adjohan thread starter macrumors newbie

Most likely I will bring my 13" rmbp back for a full refund this week. I am definitely due for an upgrade since I am still using my 2006 mbp!

I'm going to either go for top of the line 13" rmbp or top of the line 15" rmbp, but it seems like the customized top of the line 13" rmbp has a long shipping wait?

8. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

How many DVDs/BRs do you plan on ripping? If it's not that many, you might not need to worry about upgrading, but if (like me) you got hundreds of the mongrels, then yeah, saving 5-10 mins plus per disc is a lot.

9. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

The 16gb RAM 13" models have long shipping estimates. I ordered mine on Nov 17th and it was not shipped out until earlier this week. I should have it by tomorrow.

As others have said, I highly recommend getting a CPU with a quadcore i7 since you will be using Handbrake a lot.

10. adjohan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm I have one of those aluminium hard plastic cd/dvd storage case which I believe holds 600 disc and I fill up close to half of those...

I just want to make sure that I got a good rmbp that will last me for another 6+ years like what my 2006mbp has done.

11. adjohan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm okay. I guess 15"rmbp 2.3GHz quad-core i7, 16GB memory, 512GB flash storage.

By the way anyone think the apple care is worth it???

12. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Yes.

13. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Yes, get applecare but you can wait a few months, since you have a year of applecare with the purchase already.

14. adjohan thread starter macrumors newbie

True. Couldn't I get the applecare like a month or two before the 1 year included applecare expired?

15. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Yep just don't forget.. :)

16. adjohan thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you guys have a recommendation on good external blu-ray drive for ripping some dvd/blu-ray collections that I have?

17. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Sorry, I will disagree on this, albeit in a minor way. yjchua95 makes a sound observation, in that the OP would benefit from more threads (and more RAM), but they are not really necessary - it's not like the OP's machine will not do what it is asked of.

Based on the OP's post, I'd agree, but YMMV.

If you've made do with an original MBP this long, whatever rMBP will feel like a well-oiled lightning.

In fact, I'd recommend you buy a used Mac Pro (an early Octo) and a crappy monitor for the ripping-gig, have the MP process all the data and once you're done, you can sell it for max 100€/$ less than you bought it for. D'finately the cheapest way...

RGDS,

RGDS,