Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

candan9019

macrumors regular
Original poster
I decided to replace the thermal compound on my macbook since the warranty has ended recently. When I went to go take the ram out the first stick came out fine, the second one did not. I met the same resistance on the leaver as the first one but it suddenly gave and went all the way back without the stick being pushed out. After I opened it and managed to get the ram out I noticed that the part of the logic board that the leaver pushes against was damaged and a transistor? was broken clear off.

So I replaced the thermal compound and put it back together anyways, and well It seems to be working fine. But I was just wondering if anyone knows what I broke off was for and If I might have problems in the future because of it.

It's just above the red arrow.

Attachments

• macbookmem.jpg
    macbookmem.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 221

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
ouch. . .

thats part of the reason why when I ordered mine I ot the 2 gigs straight from Apple. Hope things are all OK for you.

candan9019

macrumors regular
Original poster
I just find it funny because I figured if I broke something it would be while taking it apart not removing the ram. But after seeing the way the ram lever works it seems like a very stupid design for something that is considered to be user accessible.

So far the only problem I have is that my temps are around the same which is disappointing.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
If something like a transistor broke off, I'd be careful about using it without getting that bit replaced.

Usually there is a diagram on the logic board showing you what bit was there before (serial number, resistance value or something). I'd try and replace it.

You don't know what it's use was - could even have been a capacitor; without that you might end up with too much current sulking through something else at a given time and boom.

Every wee bit has a use - I'd try and find out what it was.

yotaguy

macrumors member
May 22, 2005
just FYI guys

good quality thermal compound should NEVER need replaced in a computers usefull life. The only time it should be replaced is if the heatsink is removed from the cpu. Apple makes good quality computers and wouldnt cheap out on something as important as thermal compound.

Think of it like grease in car parts...that stuff goes in nasty and stays nasty for 20 years...when I replaced the hubs on my 20 year old 4runner it still had the same gross wheel bearing grease as it did from the factory. And it was still working fine.

candan9019

macrumors regular
Original poster
just FYI guys

good quality thermal compound should NEVER need replaced in a computers usefull life. The only time it should be replaced is if the heatsink is removed from the cpu. Apple makes good quality computers and wouldnt cheap out on something as important as thermal compound.

The fact that I was replacing the thermal compound is besides the point, this would have happened if I had just replaced the ram.

candan9019

macrumors regular
Original poster
i would sell quickly on Ebay before any problems start to show up on your machine.:)

With the new iMacs next week It had crossed my mind.:D

Well i decided to get better pictures of it in case it becomes a problem in the future. It's not labeled or anything and I can't see where it goes so I can't imagine figuring out what it does.

I had it on last night before this picture was taken and there are no burn marks or anything. I hope I'm extremely lucky because I can't afford a new mac yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1241 copy.jpg
    IMG_1241 copy.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.