Did i ruined anything?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, May 21, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

I accidentally deleted airport.kext and airport2.kext files.... have i ruined anything on my system? if so, what can i do to repair it

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

you deleted a Kernel Extension... doing that is NEVER good, but im wilin to bet those kernel extensions were mainly for your air port (wiireless internet) if you dont use wireless internet on your mac then it shouldnt be a big deal. But if you do then you might wanna fix it.

3. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

i use airport for connecting to the net but i had no problems so far. How can i fix them? if i boot from mac install cd and repair, will they be replaced?

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

How in the hell do you accidentally delete kernel files?

'Whoops, here I am in the system folder. Shouldn't touch anything here...hey, let's probe in the library! I wonder if I can show hidden files. Yes! Hey, as a joke, let's throw these airport files in the trash! Hmm...I haven't emptied the trash in a file. I'll do so now. OH NOES! The kernel files I never should have touched in the first place were in there! What do I do?"

OR

'Here I am in terminal, typing random commands. Should I be doing that? OH HELL NO, ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD DO THAT. I remember Mac being idiot proof. Let's test that!'

Accidentally? Right.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No, you'd have to grad the .kext files out of a working OS; there is no "repair" option when you insert your Mac's restore discs.

6. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

I Lol'ed

anyways looks like your ****ed buddy, I sugest you back up the data you need/want to keep and just re-install OS X. Doing that will garuntee its fixed, plus I find OS X always runs faster with a clean install.

7. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

pfff i was just trying to fix my f***in airport and i saw somewhere that deleting those files could fix it. i DIDNT delete them, i just moved them to desktop, buy my sister thought its junk and removed them the day after... i dont think i had to give all those details but since u ask, theres ur answer

PS: i fixed my airport at least :)

8. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

and yes, there is

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's a repair disk. There isn't a 'repair an idiotic mistake on an idiot proof machine'

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You can repair disc permissions, sure.

You can't repair the OS though.

You should consider asking a more knowledgeable friend to help you. Make sure he locks you out of anything important before he leaves.

I suggest a standard account.

11. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

Duded, ofc you can repair the OS... what the heck are u talking about? ive done this before (on disk utility theres a repair disk button which cant be clicked, unless you boot from cd, and thats what it does). Anyways, i found both of the files after some hardcore googling xD. Their versions are the ones i used to have so problem solved. And i dont regret any dmg that i could have caused, coz even if i had totally f**ed my system up at least after all this i found a solution for the poor airport after 10.4.10 update and wouldnt care of a re-install ;)

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I notice you said repair disc, NOT OS.

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

thanks for posting the outcome
    i learned something from this
    cool;)

14. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

yes, but it does repairs the os. i had tiger installed on my old g4 and tried few things out. once, i tried enabling front row on it, but i finally broke many other things eg: all system's keyboard shortcuts wouldnt work (eject disk button, volume buttons etc) running a disk repair fixed all those. so YES it does repairs the os. what did u expect it to do? repair my disk's wires or something?

15. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

did you? :S

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

uh huh
    i've been using macs for about, oh, 5 minutes!

17. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

at least ur not spelling them as "MAC" xD

18. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

ummm, i might have, but i don't use caps!
    actually, i've already seen too many people humiliated on this forum for exactly that

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

lesson 1: never mess with system files
    lesson 2: download and learn quicksilver.

20. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

i have quicksilver
    but haven't learned to use it
    worth the time investment?
    what do you do with it?
    or is that in another thread?

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's best to start off with tutorials from youtube.
    It's definitely nice, especially if you don't like all the space that the dock takes up.

22. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

thats because many ppl are retards and have a rly bad attitude (call it smartass)

23. GotPro macrumors 6502

Dude. Seriously. There is no "repair" utility for the operating system... ONLY for the filesystem of a hard drive on the system that has become "dirty", in Unix speak.

Check out what Apple has to say about this:

Available Utilities

What is Repair Disk?

More about what Repair Disk does

If there is an issue with the actual filesystem, Repair Disk will attempt to fix it. In NO WAY does this utility actually REPLACE deleted files, settings, or anything else. As a matter of fact, in the articles above... Apple recommends DELETING files that it can't "fix".

There is no "fix the OS because I deleted a bunch of **** on accident" option. PERIOD.

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Thanks

Hey, look, another person who actually understands what they're talking about. They are way too few of those in this world.

25. sOwL thread starter macrumors 6502

sOwL

ok good, im not a unix expert (spent so much of my time on stupid windows) but "Disk Repair" did replaced some broken files on my system before... thats a fact... and they were .kext and .hid files. Also a friend (who definitelly doesnt know what he is doing in general) tried to edit some .kext files before (found some stupid tweaks i dont remember) which made dashboard any some other apps to crash. "Disk Repair" fixed those. So it does repairs system files. Its a fact, it happened.... And my f**ing sister is never gonna touch my computer again!