Did I toast my company's network with the iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CaptSaltyJack, Mar 11, 2009.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

We have an iMac at work that I was messing around with, and I tried out Internet Sharing. Basically the iMac is plugged into the Ethernet physically, and I wanted to see if my iPhone could connect to the iMac and use its connection. So I set up Internet Sharing, shared the Ethernet port to devices via AirPort, and it worked.

Well, there was a warning message, something about disrupting other computers on the network. I'm not 100% sure how much later this happened, but now we're having bandwidth issues and no one can pinpoint the problem. I only had the feature on for about 20 minutes, and the iMac is even unplugged now as we speak, and has been most of the day yesterday, yet we still have issues.

I just wanted to make sure that if I DID do something to screw it up, I could possibly fix it somehow.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Highly doubtful, unless you made the mistake of sharing the internet from Airport to Ethernet, then your iMac became a DHCP server. If that was the case, then you just need to restart all the computers, or just have them renew IP leases to fix the problem.

TEG

3. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, turns out it's a bandwidth consumption/saturation issue, so it's probably not related. Whew.
    Thanks.