did i uninstalled the app??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcomac, Aug 10, 2011.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

i wanted to uninstall my symantec endpoint protection so that i can upgrade to lion. i read somewhere on here that all you have to do is drag all the files in the application folder into the trash and empty it and it would be deleted. well, i did that and restarted my mbp. but the SEP circle is still showing on the top right corner of the top banner thing.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dragging an app to the Trash is usually all you need to do to remove it. However, it does leave behind files and folders related to the app. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

if i delete all of this will is uninstall everything that got to do with the app even though i didnt use the app's uninstall? i cant use that uninstall anymore because i deleted it using trash :(

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Be sure to read and understand all the steps in that process.

Even if you use an app's uninstall feature, that may not remove everything associated with the app. The uninstaller for some apps will not delete things like the .plist file, which contains user preferences. Their thinking is that if you decide to reinstall the app at a later date, you won't have to reset all your preferences. If you know you're not going to reinstall the app, or don't mind resetting preferences if you do, use the manual method to delete all files/folders associated with the app.

5. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Hey GGJstudios, speaking of finding files, have you noticed you cannot search for hidden/system files in Lion? I only have one system running Lion so it could be a bug but still it seems unusual.

(For example I can't search for .bash_history anymore by adding the "System files" & "File visibility" filters to Search)

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not running Lion, so I can't help you there. It certainly should be visible with those filters selected, unless Lion has changed the filters. When you're selecting a filter, click the "Other..." at the bottom of the list and look through the available options. Perhaps there's a new category in Lion.
    The procedure in the link I posted earlier will remove all traces of Symantec.

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

That's good to know that I don't need to find uninstallers from every other vendor :) I used my link's info about two years ago before ever joining MacRumors.

10. Thomas-Symantec macrumors newbie

@ Pcomac,

Symantec Endpoint will be adding support for Lion in the next release update (RU1). There is no release date set for the new version, but I would expect it sometime in the early part of the forth quarter.

Best,
    Thomas