Did I void the warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wbyung, Feb 6, 2009.

1. wbyung macrumors member

Several hours ago I opened the bottom case to see if there is any dust in the fan heatsink assembly. I tried to unscrew the fans but one of the screws was stripped:( .

I'm now very unhappy with what I did. What should I do now?

I'm almost certain that I voided the warranty since the fan assembly is not user-serviceable.

I'll phone up and ask tomorrow and see what they can do for me. I just hope they would repair it (for a charge) and won't void the warranty.

It is like I've done the most stupid thing ever to a computer. :(

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yep you void the warranty as soon as you unscrew anything from any Apple product!
    If the Notebook is working fine and the fans are whirring nicely then again no problem...

Btw... wth were you thinking when you 'wondered' if your fan assembly has dust or not... were there some problems or was it just a time pass activity?

3. wbyung thread starter macrumors member

I live in a very dusty environment. The building I'm living in is undergoing refurbishment. The machine is running a bit hotter than it has been...that's why.

I'm thinking of fixing the screw myself because the warranty is voided anyway.

I'm getting a power screwdriver with extraction bit and get the replacement screw from ifixit. If everything's alright Apple wouldn't know I've done anything to it (hopefully).

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just use a $5.99 can of compressed air to blow out any dust that may be in your fans.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You know you should've tried using compressed air from the vents before opening it up!

Nevertheless... dont fret and dont cause more damage! Dont take it to Apple telling them you opened it up... they're heartless in this respect and void your warranty immediately!

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Personally I wouldn't tell Apple about anything you've done. If someday you need service on your machine, just let them service it as usual. Apple knows occasionally their screws break and fall out any anyway... That's why in more recent machines, the keyboard fixtures have round circular tape on them. lol

If you can, just affix the screw back into the fan assembly, if the screw wont stay, visit a Radio-shark and grab yourself some Screwlock adhesive, preferably the blue stuff, cause that's what Apple uses.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't blow your fans directly with compressed air as you risk making the fans spin faster than factory spec and thus risk damaging or destroying the fan.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't use compress air on any of my Macs.
    Just the good ole Dyson, it'll get out anything!! LOL :eek:

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Interesting... I'll have to look in!

Oh and use this link.. http://www.dyson.com/homepage.asp :]

10. wbyung thread starter macrumors member

The screw is stripped on the surface.

Do you think I could just leave it there? It is very obvious someone has worked on the screw but I guess Apple would not be able to prove who did it: Shanghai assembly worker or me.

The screws from iFixit cost about $50. The power tools would cost about $70. I guess I won't get these until I really have to send the machine for repair.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You might take it to an authorized Apple repair shop, and have the screw replaced. Once that's done you might be in good standing warranty-wise...

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep!! Just say nowt!! You'll get away with it. It's been known in the past for Apple's wonderful Chinese assembly team to wreck screws while inserting them. How? I don't know! :rolleyes: I swear they're all drinken, either that or they're using the same tool for everything!!

I've had a MacPro where they've managed to stripe the entire head from one of the HD mounting screws because it's a userservicable part I called Apple to complain. They told me not to worry, they'll dispatch a new part.

13. RaMaz07 macrumors member

you only void it when you break something. if you didn't. then your fine. i have taken apart a MBP before and i have been told by somebody at apple who builds these for a living that you must break something in order to void the warranty.

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Question.

If the OP goes to the Apple store informing them that there's a striped screw inside his machine, ain't Apple gonna ask questions as to how the user knows??

I don't think it's wise, to be honest.

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Those are notorious… What do they make them of? Softest metal ever.
    I now have a little packet of spares.
    Not fun taking a drill to a HD because the head of one the screws have been stripped.

16. wbyung thread starter macrumors member

I would say I tried to upgrade the RAM and just saw the stripped screw.

17. wbyung thread starter macrumors member

How did you remove the screw if its head was stripped?

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Some needle nose pliers.
    [​IMG]

For tiny Torx screws, you'll need to improvise and be creative...
    Perhaps some crazy-glue?

19. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If your computer never breaks down under warranty, then you might not need to ever worry about it. However, if it does break down, then take the computer to a reputable electronics repair place and have them remove the stripped screw. If you go anywhere near an Apple authorized service center, the repair will become part of the permanent record. If you have warranty issues with your computer later, the record of having replaced a stripped screw will show up and possibly affect warranty service.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's suck the whole computer in!

I usually drill the screw out with a carbine blade. :D