Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
I recently was approved for Apple Financing for a IPhone 5S and at the same time I decided to buy a Blue 5th Generation 32 GB IPod Touch. Did I waste my money on the IPod Touch? My 2 4th Generation IPod Touches are no longer supported by Apple.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I recently was approved for Apple Financing for a IPhone 5S and at the same time I decided to buy a Blue 5th Generation 32 GB IPod Touch. Did I waste my money on the IPod Touch? My 2 4th Generation IPod Touches are no longer supported by Apple.

If you have to get financing to buy an iPhone, you probably don't have much money to burn, making the purchase of an iPod Touch (completely redundant if you have an iPhone) a definite waste of money..

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
yes, return the iPod since you are financing the 5S, it's not a smart $ move and you prob won't be using it too much if you have a 5S around.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
In of itself the 5th generation iPod touch is an excellent device, and will likely be supported by iOS 8 next September and possibly iOS 9 a year after that.
As others have said, it is somewhat redundant if you have an iPhone 5S. Only you know if you have a need for two devices with broadly similar functions.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
Of course you wasted your money. I could have told you that before you bought it. I don't get why people have both an iPhone and an iPod touch. They're basically the same product...

mizzouxc

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Anything on a "want" list (phones, electronics, computers, etc) should NOT be financed. Financing something means you really can't afford it in the first place. Yes, you've wasted money.

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
The main reason why I asked this question is I am in the Apple Developer Program and may very we'll NOT want to test the Apple IOS Beta's on my Brand New a Apple IPhone 5S until it's 1 Year Warranty is Over. Still think it's a waste?

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Of course you wasted your money. I could have told you that before you bought it. I don't get why people have both an iPhone and an iPod touch. They're basically the same product...

Some people have one as they use iPods for the gym and would rather not burn all their storage on their iPhone with music. I myself own a few iPods and use them frequently, and also have an iPhone.

As many others mentioned, it would be a good idea to return the iPod, knowing that you've financed the iPhone.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The main reason why I asked this question is I am in the Apple Developer Program and may very we'll NOT want to test the Apple IOS Beta's on my Brand New a Apple IPhone 5S until it's 1 Year Warranty is Over. Still think it's a waste?

Ya didnt tell us that first, may have changed some opinions ;)

I can see why you'd want the iPod Touch now.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013

Yup

----------

Some people have one as they use iPods for the gym and would rather not burn all their storage on their iPhone with music. I myself own a few iPods and use them frequently, and also have an iPhone.

As many others mentioned, it would be a good idea to return the iPod, knowing that you've financed the iPhone.

I get why some people have another iPod like an iPod Nano or iPod shuffle, but another iPod touch just for music seems a little over the top.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

If you feel you can justify it, then it's up to you. But even then, if I had to use Apple's financing program to even get an iPhone, I would definitely not even consider buying another device, even for that reason.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

That's a couple hundred dollars more than just getting extra storage on your iPhone. Might as well get a shuffle or a nano.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Since you already bought it, make use of it, save space on your 5S for more important things and use your iPod for media stuff like music, movies, streaming or you can sell it off, there are many options available.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

Its considered redundant if you owned an Iphone 5 or above together with Ipod touch 5. But if you have an Iphone 4, i think it make sense to get a touch 5 since Iphone 4 is pretty much only good for phone call, text, mail and all sort of social network now. It can't play no game without constant stuttering especially in ios 7.

However, if you aren't keen about gaming as much. A nano for just music makes more sense.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

Considering iOS7 only just got released, iOS8 betas won't be out for nearly a year by which time you could pick up a cheap used Touch. If you're worried about the .1 updates, I'm sure there won't be anything to brick your 5s - you can always restore to the GA of iOS7 if you don't like it.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Anything on a "want" list (phones, electronics, computers, etc) should NOT be financed. Financing something means you really can't afford it in the first place. Yes, you've wasted money.

Depends - I financed my iMac, but only because I was offered 24 months with 0% interest, and no fees. So it made more sense for me to leave the money in my account even if it only gains1% or so. That's 1% I wouldn't have had, had I payed full up front.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

I don't agree.

I can't subject my phone to the same abuse I do my iPod touch. I can live without my touch working 100% of the time, however, I need my primary communication device to function 100% of the time.

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
Ya didnt tell us that first, may have changed some opinions ;)

I can see why you'd want the iPod Touch now.

My parents requested that I NOT test the Apple IOS Beta's on my Brand New IPhone 5S. I should also note that the 5S is taking the phone number that belongs to the 5. They have also requested that I no longer test the IOS Beta's on my IPad Mini seeing how it is under a Sprint 2 year Contract. The IPhone 5S was $649.99 as an Early Upgrade. My IPhone 5 is partially Broken (it gets NO Sound while playing games). I should also note that iPod Nano's and IPod Shuffle's do NOT run Apple IOS so they can NOT run the Beta's. I am in the Sprint Spending Limit Program and am limited to 3 Phone Lines, my remaining Phone Line Belongs to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (Jail Broken with Custom ROM and Recovery)!

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Return the iPod if you are still financing the iPhone, there are advantages to having both. I am gonna get an Ipod to store more music for my room for example.

But the uses aren't that many, Id return it and use the money towards the financing

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
Return the iPod if you are still financing the iPhone, there are advantages to having both. I am gonna get an Ipod to store more music for my room for example.

But the uses aren't that many, Id return it and use the money towards the financing

I have no plans on returning it, it it was ordered on the 20th of September so it may be to late to return it anyways (the IPod Touch shipped on the 22nd of September), I should also note that if I break the $299 IPod Touch while doing Beta Testing, replacing it will be much cheaper than a $649 Early Upgrade IPhone 5S Replacement!

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
If you're justifying all this because you're a beta tester then I'd say lay off the beta testing and return the iPod touch. It's a LOT of money. And you haven't spent $299, you've spent $299 plus interest. I think it's 15% which, over 2 years, doubles (DOUBLES!) the overall price.

Get rid of it.

Alex

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
The answer is yes, you are wasting money.
And if you need to finance your iPhone, I would have strongly suggested to only buy an iPod touch and then buying a dumb phone to use for calls. It's even possible with some phones to create a hotspot. In the end, you get "almost" an iPhone for a much cheaper price.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I personally think you're justifying a purchase for no reason especially when you're concerned about money. Just because you run a beta software on a device does not mean its useless. The warranty is void, but as soon as you restore back to the normal iOS version you get you warranty so getting an iPod just for beta testing when money is a concern is not smart.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Financing something that only costs $299 isn't really all that smart financially in the first place, and buying something like an iPod Touch on top of that doesn't make the most financial sense either. If cash is an issue, forget about the iPhone, get a Virgin Mobile or some other prepaid carrier with decent coverage, use that for phone calls and texts and use the iPod for your beta testing. Cheaper phone for communication and iPod for Dev. No iPhone. Especially a financed one. Couldn't imagine that hanging over my head. I like actually owning the device.

My intention isn't to be condescending towards you or your situation but to help make a smarter more efficient decision.

----------

My parents requested that I NOT test the Apple IOS Beta's on my Brand New IPhone 5S. I should also note that the 5S is taking the phone number that belongs to the 5. They have also requested that I no longer test the IOS Beta's on my IPad Mini seeing how it is under a Sprint 2 year Contract. The IPhone 5S was $649.99 as an Early Upgrade. My IPhone 5 is partially Broken (it gets NO Sound while playing games). I should also note that iPod Nano's and IPod Shuffle's do NOT run Apple IOS so they can NOT run the Beta's. I am in the Sprint Spending Limit Program and am limited to 3 Phone Lines, my remaining Phone Line Belongs to a Samsung Galaxy S4 (Jail Broken with Custom ROM and Recovery)!

What say do your parents have with what you do with your devices? Are you on their plan or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.