Did iOS 4.1 fix the iPhone 4's issue? Nope!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sasj15, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sasj15 macrumors member

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

For the love of God ...

Look, if you built up 4.1 to the saviour of mankind then that's your problem.

Apple, in their statement regarding the update, never once said that the software update would fix the antenna issue.

They stated that there was a problem with the way the iPhone calculates the signal strength, and that if anything you were seeing a better signal than you were actually getting, so the update would REMOVE bars, regardless of them being altered on the display.

So that begs the question, who is actually thick enough to believe that an update that could potentially REMOVE bars from your signal meter was a fix for a hardware issue that occurs when you actually TOUCH the phone with your hand. You know, physical contact with the device, something software cannot fix.

If you expected the next coming of Christ from this update, that's your fault ... but we all knew these rants were coming, and we're in for another two weeks of bitching, moaning, ranting, raving, and general stupidity caused by over zealous expectations.

3. brightlights macrumors regular

It also didn't solve poverty, or stop the recession.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

The 4.1 beta is a software update.

The problem with the reception is hardware, which can only be fixed by recall/bumper cases.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

So wait, some people actually thought an iOS update would affect the hardware design of their iPhone 4?

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Also holding it different.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

I thought the software update would manifest a new pony

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

10. CJayC macrumors 6502

Yeah. People who are surprised that 4.1 didn't fix the death grip issue are idiots anyway and their opinions don't matter in the slightest.

11. sasj15 thread starter macrumors member

@WeegieMac I already knew a software update wouldn't and will not solve this issue!

It was so obvious that apple knew about it, no wonder why they had official case (bumper) sold for $29!

12. thatsmyaibo macrumors regular

I didn't expect it to. It just pisses me off that customer service reps told people to wait for an update that will help the reception issue. Did they think we are that daft?

13. sasj15 thread starter macrumors member

@MisterDisney Yep, beside apple's statement made them so excited!

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Then why post the thread then mate?

Honestly, we all knew that 4.1 wasn't going to fix the antenna issue because software alone can't fix an issue where physically touching the device causes the signal to drop.

There's no touch sensors in the antenna band to know when someone's touching it or not, the only reason the signal drops is (as you're more than aware, as to not insult your intelligence) because the antenna's are "bridged" when the black band on the bottom corner is touched.

The forum is going to be full of people who expected 4.1 to be the Godsend they hoped and wished for, and because of their own misinformation and overexcited expectations, they're going to be pissed.

Regarding Bumpers, I said all along that Apple unveiled them not as a "accessory" or even for protection, but because they knew about the issue even then. Call me cynical, but while people thought it was Apple muscling in on the iPhone case market, it was clearly something far more obvious.

15. sasj15 thread starter macrumors member

You are right, but I thought I should tell those people to stop dreaming about a software solution.

16. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

It's sad the amount of legit news outlets that have been reporting that this update is a fix for the problem. I can understand the people who don't think and just do what the TV tells them being confused.

"But the news man said...."

17. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

OK...cynical....

Not a chance in the world this was some kind of an Apple conspiracy!

18. auero macrumors 65816

You are aware this is a BETA, right? You know what that is?

And this video doesn't show it dropping a call, just bars dropping. Nor does it show it go into NO SERVICE.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

NO!!! It isn't clearly the OP didn't put "BETA" in the title of the thread hence he must have access to the gold master hence EVERYONE RUN FOR THE HILLS! The Microsofts are coming! ;)

Oh yeah. The bumper is there to protect the glass.

If it was there because of the signal issue, why the hell didn't Apple produce enough at launch?

20. dean04 macrumors newbie

21. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

And it didn't stop monumental denial on some people's part.

22. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

This beta did not provide me sexual intercourse in the missionary position for strict reasons of procreation with a human female.

I don't know how else to express my disgust with this ANTI-CHRIST of a firmware beta.