Did iPhone 7 kill the charging case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by furam90, Sep 7, 2016.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

Just realized what a hassle this no headphone thing is going to cause for charging cases. I like to listen to music and I also like keeping my charging case on (Mophie) 24/7 since I use my iPhone a lot. With iPhone 7 I'd have to tear the whole damn case off the thing off just so I can use the lightning port for the headphones, tuck the case away somewhere until I'm finished, then after I'm done listening put it back on the body of the phone.

Seems kind of like a nuisance. I guess they're trying to get everyone to move to wireless headphones, but at a $150 price tag and yet another charging station I'm going to need, not sure I'm ready.

2. jptsr1 macrumors newbie

jptsr1

Give it time. They will come up with something that does both.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

This, or people will simply use the bluetooth headphones like Apple wants them to.

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Battery cases can use Lightning ports.

If anything, it will create more business for battery cases since they can sell battery cases with an additional 3.5mm headphone jack!

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Yeah if mophie or some other company makes a case with a chargind port, battery, AND a 3.5mm jack, they would make a killing.

6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't buy a case again that didn't have the lightning connector. I did once, and had to keep micro-USB around for charging with case on.

7. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

See for me it's the opposite. Having a mophie case is good. I have micro usb charges everywhere and since my tablet and Bluetooth headphones use them as well I can charge everything with one cable. Makes it easy for me at least.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yup, I actually think this is going to increase the market for charging cases which can now include a 3.5mm jack as a bonus!

9. jd369 macrumors member

Bluetooth earbuds folks. Why would anyone choose hardwired over wireless?

10. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

My thought exactly. Surprised one hasn't been released already actually.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Because wireless earbuds with 5-8 hours of playback are not actually wireless.

12. jd369 macrumors member

No one keeps earbuds in their ears for 5 hours straight, let alone 8. Thats more than enough time.

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I take it you don't commute to work, work in an office where people wear headphones all day, or travel regularly via airplane. People use headphones for 5-8 hours at a stretch every day. And if you use them for 3 hours but don't charge them, then next time you actually only have two hours of use remaining. PITA.

14. jd369 macrumors member

I commute to work. I play my phone through the radio. No one should have earbuds shoved in their ears on a commute to work. That is unsafe and irresponsible. Those are the people that cause accidents because they arent aware of their surroundings. As for working in an office where you can wear earbuds, charge them at your desk on your lunch hour and youre set. If you use them 4 hours in the morning and charge them while youre gone to lunch they will be fully charged for the last 4 hours of your work day. Then you can charge them overnight at the office or at home (as you shouldnt be wearing them while driving for any reason).

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

A commute does not necessarily mean you are in a car.

Great. One more thing to charge every day. Like I said. PITA.