Did it Crash??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knew2mack, Mar 1, 2011.

1. knew2mack macrumors regular

knew2mack

Hi all,
    I was right in the middle of doing something online and out of nowhere, the computer just went black and off!!! This has NEVER happened before and I'm worried. I recently installed a maintenance application called Main Menu. I'm now wondering if maybe I downloaded it from someone that has bad intentions, I hadn't realized at the time that I was not on a MAC site.

I went to MacUpdate and saw it there. I read some of the comments below and noticed someone had written that they had to uninstall it because it froze the system twice. Should I do the same and reinstall thru the Mac site??

Also, remember, I keep saying how new I am to computers.... unfortunately, this means I have no clue regarding maintenance.
    I don't know what 'batch tasks' 'clear user cache' 'rebuild spotlight index' 'clean all logs' ANY of this means and what things I can click on for maintenance, without harming my computer-----HELP!!!!!

ANOTHER issue, my AC (power) wire, the connection at the mag safe seems to be messed up, it has actually stopped working, as of last night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can replace this or do I have to buy the entire wire, from outlet to computer (since it comes in 2 pieces??)

I truly appreciate any help you can suggest before I end up pushing the wrong thins and ruin my computer!!!!! :confused::confused:

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Downloading a piece of software that deletes things, where you don't know what those things are for or do, wasn't a good idea in the first place, let alone you may have gotten something not entirely reputable.

This is a good cleaner, from the point of view it will free up hard drive space. It's good, but don't let it delete anything that you're unsure about.

In terms of what too do now, if you can turn the laptop on and delete the software, do it, if you can't with out it going tits up before you can do anything, an extreme option is too re instal os x.

In terms of the charger, if you have access too anyone with a mac, try theirs, if that doesn't work take it along too an Apple store.

4. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

i got it October 08, the unibody

5. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

6. knew2mack thread starter macrumors regular

knew2mack

also wondering about cleaning/deleting Universal Binaries??? I am going to go ahead and get CleanMyMac, I used the trial version a while back and liked it...only thing is I am uncertain of what to check, main concern - I am afraid I will delete something that is vital. What can I delete or clean, just for maintenance, that is NOT vital to my computer running????

thanks

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are a number of threads where CleanMyMac caused a mess. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Be very sure that you have a backup in case you wind up with an unbootable system.