Did iTunes 'eat' my voucher? Ack.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by suekitch, Aug 23, 2010.

1. suekitch macrumors regular

Hey folks,

First off I have emailed Apple, but they don't offer telephone support for iTunes so I'll be waiting a couple of days to hear back.

A while ago my iTunes account was hacked and I was out of pocket £200 for nearly two months whilst it got taken care of. This led to me abandoning my iPhone, having lost faith with the whole thing (I was also on my third in a year through no fault of my own).

Now I have an iPad. I thought, ok, I'll be safe and fund my purchases using iTunes vouchers this time. So I bought one, got home, redeemed it - £25.00 in my account. I forgot to delete my credit card details though, which I didn't realise until later.

I bought a fair few apps - nearly £30 worth - for my new purchase. Later in the evening I went back into my account and it still said £25.00 before I clicked through, oops. I assumed they took funds from my credit card instead - which I then discovered I hadn't deleted.

I removed the credit card, and then the £25.00 disappeared as well.

My credit card company only have an authorisation for £1 apparently and then one small transaction.

Does anyone know whether iTunes actually used my voucher money? I'm not sure if they prioritise vouchers first, then cards. I have no indication of how I bought stuff yesterday. Or did it default to my credit card and the charges aren't showing yet (but, from memory, it can take quite a while for them to come through can't it?)

I'm worried I'll end up paying twice.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Typically iTunes Gift Cards (I assume that's what you mean by voucher) are used before credit cards, if there is sufficient funds. Sometimes I've seen the display take some time to update, so that would explain it not disappearing until you entered your account information again to remove the credit card. I'd watch for charges, and for your emailed iTunes receipt (should show the payment method), but you should be fine, I'd think.

jW