Did Lion kill 79 GBs of HD space?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pyth, Jul 24, 2011.

1. pyth, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

pyth macrumors member

Maybe it's the new way the OS is showing HD space or maybe it's something new with the OS, but I've deleted at least 60 GBs of movies, television shows and programs and my free space hasn't gotten any bigger.

Does anyone know what this "backup" stuff on my HD is and where I can access/delete it?

http://twitpic.com/5vbes7

2. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

have you emptied your trash? If its in the trash it won't free the memory...never has.

4. pyth thread starter macrumors member

I've rebooted the computer, but it's not gone away. And I've emptied the trash too. There's just 79 GBs of this backup stuff and I don't know where to find it to delete it. It wasn't there before I upgraded to Lion.

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Those are local snapshots. They can be disabled by a terminal command, sudo tmutil disablelocal

They will delete when you disable. It takes a couple of min.

6. pyth thread starter macrumors member

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

What are these snapshots for? Anything useful? I have a 256GB SSD...so the less wasted space, the better.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Local snapshots are used by TM when the external drive is not available. It is only enabled on laptops and when a TM volume has been set. If you don't need, then you can turn it off.