Did MacBook 4,1 come with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M cards?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by omarjk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. omarjk macrumors regular

I saw this listing on fleaBay, and queried the graphics card the seller claims to be included in the MacBook, which looks like a 4,1.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120398290507&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Here is what he copied from System Profiler

"Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3343
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

Can you view the listing and then answer the thread title question and whether he or I has misunderstood something?

Thanks

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

Macbooks didn't start using the 9400M until the most recent update last October. Only the unibodies and the new 2.0 Ghz white Macbook have the 9400M. This one most likely has the GMA X3100 and is from the update in early 2008.

Unless you really need the 9400M this is still a great computer, and if you can get a good deal I say go for it.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The listed MacBook has the X3100 not the 9400M

4. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Gma 950

Actually, the CPU is listed as "Core Duo".... which makes it a 2006 V1.

Those were shipped with GMA 950...

That would make this machine ANCIENT!

Also:
    At another point, the CPU is listed as Core 2 Duo.
    ...and the fcat that it is running Tiger, makes me beleive this would be older.

To many inconsistencies with this listing.... Buyer beware!!

5. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The old MacBooks had a delete keys instead of a second alt key I believe. This one as a second alt key.

I would trust it.

6. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

It's impossible for it to have a 2.4GHz processor and a 9400M

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

They just copied and pasted the specs for the latest White MBs albeit poorly and then added some hybrid info like the 2.4GHz processor in the White MB and the 9400 M.

the 2MHz processor should be a tip. Also, why would they upgrade to the unibody MB if they just bought the White MB with the 9400 M?

For sure by the posting of their System Profiler it is a 2.4GHz, White MB, 800MHz FSB Early 2008 MB model MB403LL/A. He is wrong in that it doesn't contain the 9400M, the FSB is 800MHz and not 1066MHz as they posted in the description, and it has bluetooth 2.0 and not 2.1. So they just copied straight from the Early 2009 White MB except for the HDD size and CPU speed. Everything else is the same between the two machines anyway besides the CPU, larger HDD in the Early 2008 model, bluetooth, FSB, and 9400M.

8. Pak^Man macrumors regular

There are inconsistencies with the hardware and software.... this is high risk of fraud.

How would you trust this guy?? He's selling a MB that does not seem to exist!!! Stop misleading the OP... :mad:

As brop52 pointed out:

"For sure by the posting of their System Profiler it is a 2.4GHz, White MB, 800MHz FSB Early 2008 MB model MB403LL/A. He is wrong in that it doesn't contain the 9400M, the FSB is 800MHz and not 1066MHz as they posted in the description, and it has bluetooth 2.0 and not 2.1. So they just copied straight from the Early 2009 White MB except for the HDD size and CPU speed. Everything else is the same between the two machines anyway besides the CPU, larger HDD in the Early 2008 model, bluetooth, FSB, and 9400M. "

9. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

I should perhaps have pointed out that when listing Macs on eBay the categories one chooses are not updated as often as the computers themselves. So maximum processor speed that can be specified is 2.1 Ghz; RAM is 2 GB; OS is Tiger(!) etc. Personally I would have not elected any stats in that case, but it can present sellers with dilemmas.

I think the seller is just a little lazy - or at least that's my impression. I have always trusted my instincts, even in internet purchases; but since getting stung by cybergypsy (remember her?) on this website a while back, I have realised that even seemingly upstanding people can turn on a nasty side where money's involved.

This is what I wrote back to the seller - hope you won't mind the 'Mac-heads' labelling - and I'll keep you posted in any case.

Thanks.

"I double checked with some Mac-heads and your model number (4,1 - in your screenshots) cannot have come with the graphics card your are saying it has.

Can you clarify this by sending me an actual screenshot taken with the laptop itself (cmd + shift+ 3)?

I'm expecting it not to be the nVidia card. I'm interested in buying the machine regardless you'll be glad to know, but would understandably like to clear this up first.

It seems as if you might have just copied and pasted the stats of the current white macbooks, which do not check out with the Feb '08 models unfortunately (I own one, and want to buy this for my brother). Have I got this awfully wrong?"

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Report it

I reported it. There is no way this could be true. You should report it too; help those who bid not get ripped off. :D

11. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your caution, and am interested to know what gives you such a cast-iron urge that it is fake?

The fact of the graphics card misreporting could be the work of a liar and a cheat, but lazy sellers are also common.

Ebay is behind the times in its description parameters; some choose to use them as a way of showing a minimum of what their system has, others avert their listings from the descriptors altogether.

The seller has good feedback/average membership length - some sellers have this and still cheat people, for others it is inconclusive.

Buyer beware? Yes. Buyer throw a wobbly and run off scared? Ummm...maybe not?

ps the laptop's for my brother, not me, so I'm not massively biased and inclined to purchase at all costs.

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

the poster has no accepted returns checked. makes it alot more difficult. the specs are wrong. if the video is wrong other specs could be wrong as well. personally id stay away. but thats up to you to decide

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

He may not be cheating you, but the other people bidding on the machine will likely thing this is the latest White MB without researching it. So you likely won't get a decent price.

14. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't look good, does it?

I long for the days of Marketplace access again...(throws cold water on his face and goes to bed).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it doesn't. A seller who can't post the specs right doesn't deserve my money.

It's only like 200 or so more posts to go! :p

16. Pak^Man macrumors regular

If you are so confident in this regard, why are you seeking advice on this matter anyway..... go ahead and knock yourself out!

17. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

So true!

Lol, so true Pak.

OP: You wouldn't be here if you didn't think there was something wrong.
    Did the seller ever respond? If they do and correct themselves, fine. However, you'll probably overpay as other dopes bidding may not be as smart, and bid the MB higher.

There is no way an APPLE made 2.4 WHITE MB has nvidia in it. :D

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You are right that it is possible that the seller made a mistake by reporting the wrong spec, But that would be sloppy and s/he should be made to correct themselves.
    This macbook simply does not exist.

19. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, while I appreciate the discussion, I only 'sought advice' about one issue, the thread title question.

I expect that readers will probably comment on other aspects. For me to play devil's advocate was always on the cards seeing as macrumorsMaster didn't explain why the seller wasn't just lazy when making his own point off the graphics card topic. Brop52's point is probably the pick of the bunch, that a fair price may not be achieved, rather than a gung-ho opinion that 'this guy's a con-man'.

The seller did try to come in with information at the eleventh hour. But it was too late for me to get my brother involved.

It's always good to have other opinions, but all I initially asked to know was about the graphics card, to which macrumorsMaster reported the whole listing, albeit for the sake of other buyers!