Did Macbook pro announcement yesterday solidify a rMB for anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thadoggfather, Oct 28, 2016.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

2. Johbremat macrumors regular

If I pull the trigger on a new machine, I think it'll be the MacBook.

Only because my use case it portability, not power, and any space- and weight-saving opportunities I can take, I will.

3. SaddleSC macrumors regular

I purchased both the rMB 12" and the new MBP 13" base model this evening at the Apple Store. The keyboard on the MBP is a fairly substantial improvement in feel/tactile response, so keeping the MBP is a no brainer for me. I will give the rMB to my wife to replace her aging Air.

The speakers on the new MBP are also very very nice:)

4. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

It did ... until I went to buy and noticed that they increased the price. To me, it's not worth what they're now charging for it.

5. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Yep, picked up a m5/512gb/SG today. Previously returned the m3 model months ago due to the base being severely warped. But I really liked it. Also use a ThinkPad X1, really disappointed with it which is another topic, but also want something smaller for work. There is just no point in the 13" MBP for my usage. Maybe if it had regular USB ports I'd have considered it for a second. But as long as I'm sacrificing USB 3.X I'm going as small and light as possible. This little guy is perfect for mobile office work, remote desktop connection, PDF files, internet, occasional StarCraft 2 when traveling.

I'm happy that I got a good screen on the 1st try too. Not yellow, uniform, no dead or stuck pixels. Panel is A028.

6. trillville macrumors newbie

I bit the bullet on a m3 gold MacBook today in light of the pricing on the new MacBook Pros. Loving it so far!

7. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Me. Should be picking up my M5 today from John Lewis at the pre-event price too!

8. Mrs. Jobs macrumors member

Mrs. Jobs

Got a m5 SG for dh and m5 RG for myself this morning, the new MBP are overpriced and underwhelming imho.

9. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Not really. For me to opt in to the retina Macbook, it has to have a much better battery life than what it has right now. A 13" model would be great as well. Right now, it's not even matching the 13" Macbook Air. Sure it's lighter and smaller, but battery life is something I don't want to have any sacrifice on. Considering Apple has stripped out all ports and mag-safe, I want more battery life as the trade-off.

We see Windows OEMs being able to make reduced-bezel screens (Dell XPS), ultra light big-screen laptops (LG gram, a 15" laptop as light as the retina Macbook), etc. Those are great things to copy.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I currently have a 12" MacBook and am going to pick up the 13" no TB pro today.

There are times where I feel performance issues on the 12", and I am hoping the pro fixes that. I've also had random wifi issues where connections drop in locations where I previously had no issues.

11. Eggy41 macrumors newbie

Bought an m5 from the refurb site shortly after the announcement. Delayed buying decision until the announcement but price increase put me off a pro. Thought I'd try the 12 and see how I get on with it

12. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I bought my base gold rmb a few months after intro in 2015 and never had an issue. i also have a mid 2015 mbp 8/256. Great machine. Boight both new, full warranty at a discount price, no tax, free shipping on ebay. and got 12 months to payoff each using paypal credit. no brainer.

13. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Considered a RMB pro earlier in the year but went instead for the RMB 12" 2015 model and certainly have no regrets. The massive price increase announced this week just reinforced the good value of the RMB. The RMB pro as it suggests is for video, design and photography professionals imho.

14. EasyMac21 macrumors newbie

The pricepoints of the new MBP are enough to push me back to a rMB or Air. I know the Air is more out of date. I don't do much heavy computing, but would like to be able to stream NFL games on reddit, watch Netflix, etc. Is the base model rMB m3 enough for that? The small processor just makes me hesitate a little.

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

yes stream netflix and reddit, rMB will be more than enough

even base 2015 rMB

16. EasyMac21 macrumors newbie

Excellent, thank you. And a better option than a MB Air with the 2.2 processor you think?
    I'll need an HDMI adapter for either. Hate to lose the Magsafe, but I guess I can stomach it. Also portability is a priority, as I travel with my laptop a lot.

17. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I've been thinking about picking up an M5 12" for a while and with the new Pros basically being slightly upgraded 12" MacBooks I finally did it. My local Best Buy had an open box for $1319.

18. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Did for me. I was waiting on pricing and would have purchased 13 inch if it was $1299. I just ant justify the jump to $1799 or even $1499 without the bar. Went with a 2016 base MacBook. Will be plenty fine for my usage.

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I feel like I stepped into a time travel machine with my base 2015 rMB, since so many design elements transferred directly over to the rMBP redesign: branding of product name instead of on bottom of chassis, its associated chin underneath the glass bezel and screen, trimmed bezel in general around the screen, expanded trackpad for its size and lack of buffer between it and the edge and keyboard, trimmed speaker area (even if rMB doesn't have anything on the side of the keyboard), lack of logo glow, butterfly mechanism (even if more travel and 2nd gen, I cannot wait to try this at the store because i am curious), lack of MagSafe, and USB-C as the only hope (in case of one port) or USB-C up the wazoo in case of 13 and 15" even though 13" 4-port is slightly neutered.

its pretty much the air, 13" no touchbar is like the regular Macbook and 13" and 15" touchbar are the "pros" or XPS'es in my mind, but minus the gaming part, and port flexibility haha

20. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

I have a 1st gen gold MacBook and will plan to buy a 3rd gen, hopefully in Spring 2017. Why not an MBP?

-Love the light weight (2 lbs.)
    -Love not having a fan (noise)
    -Gold color option
    -1.1 GHz processor is adequate, though may go with an upgrade option/m7 next time
    -Touch Bar is not compelling (yet)

Though I would love TouchID.

21. edge3uk macrumors newbie

edge3uk

Bought this for £1100 second hand just over a month ago. Never felt so smug in my life! Literally cannot believe the price hikes. :( Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 22.19.03.png

22. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

I was going go wait for the pro early in the spring but decided to get the MB and its my most favorite MacBook I've ever owned. no regrets, and after the, in my opinion lack luster MBP announcement I could not be more happier.

23. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

Before I bought my MacBook, I was thinking to wait for the new MBPs to be announced but realized that my uses are very light so I went with the MacBook instead.

24. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I was actually ready to dump my rMB for the new MBPs, but after the announcements I think I will just wait for next year to see what happens with the new rMB and next MBP and decide again.

25. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I loved my rMB (2016 m7) before the announcement of the new rMBPs and I love my rMB still.....just a wonderful little machine that does all I ask!