Did my AppStore auto-add badge for updates?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by sulliweb, Nov 8, 2011.

1. sulliweb macrumors regular

sulliweb

So I pulled out my phone this afternoon, and I had a badge notification on my App Store app. I did check for updates earlier today. It said all apps were up to date, and I assume I left it running on the updates page in the background (didn't close the app in the multitasking bar). Still, I didn't manually go back again and check for updates, but I'm seeing that I have an update waiting?

New feature, fluke, or did I do something else that perhaps triggered it?

Just curious if anyone else had seen this happen. I figured it would have been big news if it was true, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks!

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It has always done that. Not sure how often if checks though. I manually check it so often that the auto check hardly ever kicks in.

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I haven't had that happen to me (had a couple of updates from yesterday when I checked this morning) so my best guess is that you did something that triggered it.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Fluke.

I've had this happen to me every once in a while since my first iPhone (2008) and iOS 2.x, its something that just happens, even if I haven't opened the App Store in days.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple's Applications don't follow the Multitasking rules that other Apps do.

The App Store is a system Application, so it can check for updates any time that it wants to.

If you close the Messages app, you'll still get messages.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That's because checking for messages is not handled by the Messages app, but by the system process commcenter. The same is not true for app updates; they are checked by the App Store app itself; and in the two and a half years I have had an iPhone it has never checked for updates or displayed a badge unless I opened the App Store app myself. While Apple could of course have modified commcenter or added another background process to check for App updates, I don't think we have any reason to believe that they have.