Did my first marathon!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jamesmcd, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Just felt like saying that I did my first full marathon today.

Did it in about 3 hr 40 min, with little training (by marathon standards anyway). Might do another in a couple of months to see if I can better myself.

The last 5 kilometers was like going to hell and back. It is impossible to describe the pain in your legs at this point, but if you imagine someone using a sledge hammer on your legs every time you take a step, you'll be getting close.

Any other marathon runners out there? Or are most of MR sitting behind computers 23 hours a day :D :D

Chur

2. mpw Guest

I entered a Marathon once....I was picking peanuts out of my foreskin for days.

But seriously, well done. I'd love to be fit enough to do the London marathon next year.

3. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Ah London marathon... The one I did wasn't quite as famous, but it's the same distance :cool:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Congratulations! :)

I've only done one -- St. Louis, MO, 2005. But I very much would like to do another. :)

5. juanm macrumors 65816

I did walk 42 km with a friend once, but on rather different conditions.
    In Hiva Oa, in the Polynesian archipielago of the Marquisas. 42 km in a mountainous tropical island (read hot weather), with a 50 pound (25kg) backpack and scarce water. The worst thing is that it had been my idea...:rolleyes:
    We did it in around ten hours, and we ended up almost dead, but it was nontheless a nice day to remember, with beautiful views. Believe me, after a day like this one, you end up loving your rock-hard bed and the subsequent bath in the ocean in the morning to clean all the filth off

Sorry for my english :D

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Congrats ... well done.

Yes I'm afraid any marathon sessions I do usually (although not always :) ) involve computers.

FJ

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Wow, congratulations!

One time I rode my bike to the grocery store and back, which is about a mile and a half away. That's kind of the same, right?

8. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Nope, but i walked about 30 miles in a day.... My friends and i were bored so we walked back and forth from walmart (about a 3 mile walk each way w/ loys of hills) all day.... it was fun, but my feet were killing me:cool:

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Congratulations! I've done three half-marathons, but never a full marathon. Unfortunately I don't have the time to train that much any more.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Way to go, jamesmcd. That's a respectable time for your first one (~8 min. miles). Only those who've run one know about the zone of the last 10K. Lots of stories on that. Anyway congratulations.

11. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Thanks all!

I'm very sore now (as expected) and I don't plan to run for a few weeks. I've deserved a break ;)

12. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Congrats!!! Did you iPod it? I'm training for my first maybe starting with a half marathon. Giving myself 6 months.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well done...and a nice time to boot!

I've only run up to a half-marathon, but then again, I've only been running for about four months. Trying to get in shape for some triathlons...doing the Olympic distance tri at Wildflower next Sunday. Aiming for a 3:30 finish, but I have sincere doubts about that...my training hasn't been where it needs to be. I'm such a slacker...

14. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Congrats

Good job. I did the Pittsburgh marathon a few years back - have not had time to train much since then but I still run around 20 miles a week.

I originally ran it for fun but then my time was pretty good (3:33) and it just makes me want to run another one - but much faster. I want to break 3:10 to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Running is addictive, but in a good way...

15. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Marathons, no. Triathlons yes. I like a little excitement to breakup my running, like painful biking or hellish swimming.

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

:eek:

That's just W.R.O.N.G.

:eek:

17. bemylover macrumors regular

That's very good time. I did 3 half marathons and as I don't have enough time to properly train any more, my times are getting worse and worse :(

I am still going to run a couple full marathons soon.

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Never done one, I'm with my Mini and iBook all day. :D

19. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I've never RAN one, but I've biked one. A very good experience. Probably the hardest physical thing i've ever done. It was worth it. :cool:

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Are you serious? Biking 26 miles is the hardest physical thing you've ever done? You can do it in an hour, maybe 1:15? Just grab any decent road bike and hit the road? Something tells me you don't work out too much :p

21. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I'm grossly out of shape :p. I didn't say it was anything to brag about. :eek: