Did my friend get ripped off?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Shacklebolt, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

My friend has been wanting a Wii forever. She recently got a raise at work, and then another, so she can splurge and treat herself to one. However, she hasn't been able to find one in stores for 3 months.

Until a guy who worked down the hall from her mentioned that he had one that he hadn't played in months (and I assumed owned for ~1 year) and was willing to sell her. She proposed 300 dollars + some cupcakes. He accepted. The deal was for a working Wii + Zelda. Don't know about Wii Sports... probably.

I think she kind of got ripped - or at least, that the guy was kind of sleazy in selling a year old Wii to her for that much. She says that it was worth that much to her, which is perfectly reasonable.

What do you think?

2. pcypert macrumors 6502

If she's happy then no. I think 250 with the game would be fair, but market demand drives prices....

Paul

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

$300 for a slightly used $250 console plus a $50 game. And she received exactly what she expected (i.e. nothing was busted or anything like that)?

She willingly paid a slight premium for a hard to find item but I don't think she got ripped off.

Lethal

4. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

The part the surprised me was that it was from someone she knows. I'd feel bad charging a premium to a friend of mine.

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

6. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I don't think its a bad deal. That price was what it took for him to sell it, and thats a price that she was happy with, or she wouldn't have bought it. If she had waited, or looked around more, she could have found a better deal. But the point is that she found what she wanted and didn't want to wait any longer. Price vs. demand.

7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I sold my Wii, 4 wiimotes, 2 games, nunchuck and classic controller for $500 this xmas (which is close to what it all cost when new). The people I sold it to were so happy that I saved xmas for their kids that they gave me a $100 gift card to a nice restaurant a few weeks later.

No, your friend got a good deal. Although I think the fact that so many people are selling the Wii after owning it for a year is telling of the long term viability of the system. Everyone I know in their 20's has dumped their Wii in the last 6 months.

\Kids still love it
    \\Gets old if you can handle a real controller

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

She got a pretty fair deal. Guy probably could've sold it for more on Ebay.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, they do say those willing to screw people and steal money tend to rise quickest -- even if you don't do it, the personality to trample on people helps.

You're going to get sued, at least make it for a decent reason.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Where did you get your medical MJ?

<]=)

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

*points to your friend* PNWD!

;) No, seriously, I think she got a good deal. With an extra game, $300 is fair. And remember, she was the one who offered $300, not the guy selling it. You can't get ripped off if you're the one proposing how much to pay.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhaps this person paid more than retail price when he got it???

13. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i bought 2 wiis on release day

sold one for 450

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Compared to what they go for on Craigslist that's not too bad, but it's still more than retail for a USED console.

A brand new Wii + Zelda costs $300 anyway (maybe slightly less, I don't know if Zelda is still $50), but a used one should be cheaper. But then there's the rarity factor. So if it was worth it to her...

I wonder if it had any Virtual Console games on it?

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

She got a console she wanted for less than market value. Good find.

As for people in their 20's selling the Wii, most people I know who have done it, did it because they were broke, didn't want their parents knowing they had it (if they're in college), or they finished with Zelda, and were waiting for SSBB or Mario Galaxy and couldn't justify keeping it for 6 months when they go for $300+ used on eBay.

TEG

16. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

On the streets, for sho... haha

While this isn't true for everyone I found the controller to be more frustrating than a revolution. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but too imprecise for my tastes. To each his own.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

She essentially bought it for the retail without taxes.

A great deal considering you still can't find them easily around here...

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You can get that stuff on the streets... ¬¬

For me it depends on the game. I don't like using a Wiimote to steer, but I definitely don't like using any gamepad to aim. :eek:

I've had frustrating moments with the motion, especially with early Wii games, but as a pointer, even with some of the early crap, it's only as precise as one's setup. It makes a huge difference for shooters when everything is positioned properly and the developer has experience beyond making another thumb-shooter. I've always been able to find a good placement on my friend's sets for the bar, from there it was just a matter of them getting used to aiming instead of pushing.

When I was younger(teens/twenties), I sold my consoles for money -- I sold my PSOne after 5 months. But once I got the N64, was married, and got my career going, that stopped. I didn't even sell my Cube when I got my Wii, I gave it to a friend.

<]=)

19. surferfb macrumors member

surferfb

Actually, I think I'm the offending party here. Can't be too many people selling Wiis to people down the hall at work for 300 plus cupcakes. Yes, Wii Sports comes with it. I thought about putting it up on ebay, but would rather that someone I know enjoys it. I bought it in April, so 10 months old. It works fine, just don't really play it anymore.

BTW, the fact that this is on MacRumors is hilarious.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

BWAHAHA! *cracks up*

That's amazing :D

Eh, I don't consider it to be a ripoff- It's better than market value. I sold a 20 GB PS3 at launch to some guy for a $750 who wanted it.

21. asxtb macrumors 6502

I think this sums it up pretty well.

This actually reminds me of a skit on the Dana Carvey show ages ago(I think that's what it was...), when they would go to places like a McDonald's order $50 worth of food, pay for it, and when the employee would go to get the food, they would drive off laughing about how they 'ripped off' the store. :)

Edit: It was the Dana Carvey show! With Steve Carrell! I didn't realize he was in it. Here's a clip if anyone is interested. :D

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Also I've noticed that this year it doesn't look like there are as many good games. Mostly just Brawl, Mario Kart, and a few others. This is why I just got a PS3 but I will still keep my Wii for Brawl :D.

23. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Anyone who dumps their system this early is a flat out idiot.

It's worthwhile keeping for the Virtual Console releases along, much less all the actual retail games.

24. pcypert macrumors 6502

I loved the Dana Carvey show. Went off the air way too quickly.

Paul