Did my identity just get stolen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I went to my mailbox today and got the mail, and found something addressed to me from AARP. I am only 21 turning 22 years old in December.

It is an offer for me to join AARP for $16 for one year, and that I can "make the most of life over 50."

Should I be worried? I did do a free credit report, and nothing unusual is on there.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

3. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

My last name is not common at all with a Google search only bringing up my Facebook.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've actually gotten something in the mail from AARP before as well. As boss.king says, I think it's just a name thing. That was a few years ago, and my credit is clean as a whistle.

5. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Look on sites like veromi.com there are tons of sites out there that aggregate info in public databases, but they aren't necessarily right, it could be that somehow you got entered into some database somewhere as being much older than you are and AARP just aggregates this info and mails brochures to anyone that their DB says is over a certain age, regardless of whether it's true or not.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would just throw the AARP ad in the trash and not worry about it.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wouldn't associate an offer from AARP with identity theft but that's just me. Consider it more junk mail, like pizza delivery coupons.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I would take them up on their offer. AARP offers some sweet discounts at different places! :)

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I once got mail from ING Direct when I was only 11 - because I had set my age to 18 on my hotmail account :p I'd just throw it away and forget about it, if your identity had been stolen you would know about it (credit card purchases, empty bank account, etc).

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Pizza coupons are most definitely not junk mail! :D