Did My MacBook Get Infected?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JPM42, Apr 2, 2013.

1. JPM42 macrumors 6502

I was browsing MacRumors, this afternoon, and as I was reading the article about Google potentially downranking iTunes links, this popped up:

[​IMG]

There was also sound that started playing when this prompt came up, but I immediately closed Safari.

Does anyone know what caused this prompt? I've never seen this before. I went to my iMac and iPad, and this prompt didn't come up. I'm aware that there was a previous article, today, about the Funny or Die Steve Jobs trailer, but what would cause this prompt to come up, while viewing another article?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You have not been infected, it probably just was a falsely loaded site, it can happen.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. JPM42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I was referring more to malware than actual viruses, because, as you said, there are no known viruses for OS X. But thank you for confirming it's nothing to worry about.

4. simsaladimbamba

If you have not installed anything recently, where you do not know the source but have give your password to, you might have malware, but then again, it would not manifest like this.
    What you experienced was a hiccup.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

MacRumors had/has a front-page story from the www.funnyordie.com website. The link reference may have been malformed when you loaded the MacRumors page, so Safari snapped. Don't worry, you didn't get a virus. It's all good.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

There are many websites running Apache web server that have been infected. The websites do pop/over/under and sometimes run a web page with what looks like an embedded YouTube video. Partially thru the video it will stop and say you need an updated version of Adobe Flash. If you click the links on that web page for upgrading Flash, you could possibly get a Trojan.

Technically, it's not a virus if a user clicks the link, but for for end users the result is just as bad.

I have seen this recently and here is an article on ARS

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-attack-targeting-apache-hijacks-20000-sites/

Just don't click the links and you should be fine. Avoid Java, and Flash when you can.