Did my Macbook HD fail?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UrsaMajor, Aug 15, 2007.

1. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

Over the weekend, I was running XP on my Macbook installing a scanner driver (bootcamp). When XP reset, it never rebooted again. The computer wouldn't get past the blank grey screen. I couldn't boot from the system install disc (holding C) either. I've done all the boot up tricks. Oddly, the target disc drive function works and I was able to get to the HD from another Macbook.

When I remove the HD the macbook will boot from the CD. I put in another Macbook HD and it boots up just fine. The problem HD won't boot up in another macbook either.

I have 2 Macbooks. The one I bought in June and an old one I bought last June. I put the new macbook 80gb in the old Macbook (which had 60gb), wiped the drive and reinstalled everything (put a new 160gb 7200rpm in the new macbook). I'm not trying to save any data on the OLD macbook, just want to use the 80gb , if possible.

I'd right off the 80gb drive as dead if I couldn't reach it as a target drive. (I was able to successfully run Disc util to check it) Am I missing something here?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you try booting into Single User Mode and running fsck? :)

3. UrsaMajor thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give that one a shot when I get home. Does it sound like a HD failure or software issue to you?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It sounds like a hard drive problem but fsck may be able to repair it. Repartitioning with Boot Camp commonly wrecks the file system, but not usually to the extent that you can't boot. Good luck! :)