did my macbook pro speakers just blow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kockgunner, Jul 4, 2008.

1. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i was listening to music on itunes while cleaning my laptops keyboard with slight wet microfiber cloth (i wrung it out several times) and suddenly my macbook pro's speakers made a very loud crackly, wonky sound. i can't really describe the sound, but right after, i noticed the max volume of my laptop got lower and the bass sound was very weak. i tried plugging in headphones and unplugging them and then my max volume and bass went back to normal. is this problem common and is my macbook pro broken?

PS im very sure water didn't get into the speakers since i wasn't even cleaning the speakers when my speakers went weird and in any case, my cloth was almost completely dry.

2. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

kockgunner

3. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Well - if your speakers are working again fine, then they didn't blow. Technically, a blown speaker has a split or a hole in it (from playing it too lud, and needs a hardware repair to sort it out... Thankfully looks like what you have is less serious - is it still working okay now?

also, if you wire up only one terminal on full size speakers, you get quiet, bass-free sound as well. It may be that there is a loose connection to one of the speaker terminals?

4. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i dont have any external speakers. the weird sound came from my macbook pros internal speakers.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

kockgunner

it was kind of like a combination of a sizzle, a buzz, and a crack. it was quite loud.