Did my Snow Leopard Clean Install Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djhnd, Dec 21, 2009.

1. djhnd macrumors newbie

Am doing a clean install of Snow Leopard on my wife's Desktop Mac because it had gotten so slow after three years (she only ever did OS upgrades, never clean installs.)

However, after erasing the Hard Drive and clean installing Snow Leopard, I was not able to access my Time Machine backup from Time Machine - it only wanted to backup the system, I couldn't find a restore option, and I had trouble even accessing the disk.

So, I went back, restarted the computer with the OS disk in, and then did my Time Machine Restore from within the utilities menu of the OS Disk Menu.

I found one other thread tangential to this topic, but couldn't find anything that confirmed - does TM Restore restore the old operating system? Or just the files, etc? In other words, did I just undo the whole clean install of SL - or did this work (giving me clean install SL plus restore of old files.)

Thank you

DH

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It restores old files and settings, not the entire system. It's basically the same as running an archive & install from the install disk. So it's not a "clean install", but the system files have been replaced anyway.