Did my updates install correctly? Should I be worried about this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lester52, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Lester52 macrumors member

I ran software update and when the updates were finished downloading it told me to restart the computer. So I clicked restart. When I got to the blue screen with the turning gear it stayed on that screen for a while. Not just a minute or 2, I think at least 10 but possibly even more because I left the room for a while since it seemed to be doing nothing.

I came back in the room after a while and the computer was on the desktop. Should I be worried that it took so long to go from the blue screen with the turning gear to get to the desktop? Do you think my updates installed correctly, and would there be any way of knowing if they didn't?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sure. If you made a note of the version you had before downloading the updates, you can find the application icon, do Get Info, and see if it's a newer version.

4. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

I believe I have the previous version written down, but how do I do the rest of what you said? I downloaded these updates by going to the Apple menu and clicking software update by the way.

5. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

I wouldnt worry about it. In a sense the restart is still part of the installation process and you should see boot times return to normal after the first one. Run a permissions repair though, if you're concerned about it.

6. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

The boot and reboot times have been normal after this. One thing I'm concerned about is if the updates didn't install correctly then the security updates wouldn't have and that I could be at risk.

And I'm aware that there are no viruses for the Mac, but apparently there have been some security issues since there are security updates. I just want to be sure those were installed correctly.

7. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

You're overthinking it. There are security updates for every Mac OS release, as new software is made available and developed as the lifespan of an OS goes on. It sounds like you had a perfectly normal software update so relax :)

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Open your Applications Folder. That's probably where the applications are that you've updated. Highlight one, then click Get Info. Or right click / control-click to select that.

If it's the OS you're concerned about, click once on the Desktop, then go to the :apple: menu and select About This Mac. It will display a window and your version will be identified.