Did nobody read or know anything about Lion before installing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dbalone, Jul 23, 2011.

1. dbalone macrumors member

I find it hard to believe all of these questions, problems or whatever with Lion. You would think that people would read and investigate a little before upgrading. Many of the "problems" or missing features,etc. were all mentioned beforehand in this forum and even on Apple's Lion page.

No surprises here. I for one one knew what I was getting when I upgraded and I am enjoying it. No noticeable problems or issues here. I dare anyone to find software for $29.99 that gives you everything that Lion does.

2. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

What gets me is that a lot of the complaints are about new features that you don't even have to use such as Launchpad.

3. dbalone thread starter macrumors member

Yes Launchpad is a good example also Mission Control. It was plain as day Expose was changing to this. I am beginning to think that if there is not a App for something then nobody can read.

4. Violator22 macrumors newbie

I'll take that, Ubuntu Linux, but I still am digging Lion, but I am a fairly new OS X user. I like the way it works, have not had any issues as of yet, 2011 MBP 13" with the i7, 8 gb ram.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Reading a feature list doesn't prepare you for buggy implementations, choppy animations, sluggish response times, memory leaks in Safari, and weird undocumented changes that people are discovering every day since after launch.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

And don't forget wifi issues that are popping up.

7. Violator22 macrumors newbie

I have been running Lion since release, and have yet to have a wireless problem. YMMV

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Or some of the WTF were they thinking when they designed this items such as going into full screen mode disables a second monitor if you have one - WTF???

9. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

As a seasoned linux user, and someone who was ACTIVELY involved in the linux community with MANY friends who still are, I beg to differ.

Even diehard linux users know that linux still has a long way to go in order to compete with the big names in the industry! Ubuntu is close, but it isn't there. Sure, you don't have to manage boot scripts anymore to start ndiswrapper, and then load your wifi driver for the most part, but you still need ndiswrapper! And you don't need to start the X server manually anymore, but the X server is still nowhere NEAR as good as the graphical implementations offered on OS X or Windows!

Think before you click submit reply!

10. Violator22 macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll give ya that, certain laptops i have installed on are a real joy to get things working right, so it isn't just install and go all the time.

Lion has been good for me so far, I started linux with Mandrake 5, so have been playing with it for awhile, all my computers other than my macs have Linux in one form or another, but they also all have Athlon processors so no hacked macs in my house.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

It's funny, I never used expose...I use mission control

btw...I knew all about what was coming and love it too.

12. skealoha86 macrumors newbie

My GUESS about this, complete speculation, is that the draft-N Airport Extreme cards in older Macs is the root of the wireless issues. I had major WiFi issues with my 2007 Macbook Pro (Macbook Pro 3,1) where the signal never dropped according to the WiFi icon in the menubar, but connection in all programs did... but switching my router to 802.11g fixed this issue. However, 802.11g is so terribly slow that it pains me to have had to make this change. I hope that Apple fixes this... this definitely falls under an unknown bug that no one could be prepared for upon upgrading.

How many developers who make their money on the app store are using 4 year old hardware? Likely not many... not necessarily the best group for beta testing - but I suppose the 1 million+ people who have downloaded Lion are now going to be doing their fair share of beta-testing for Apple... perhaps this was the plan all along - bug discovery early before moving to a more stable 10.7.* release with iCloud in the Fall.

13. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I also started with mandrake, not sure which version, I don't remember.

After that it was Slackware 9-11, and then ubuntu 7.04 I think from there.

Needless to say, it's getting better!!

14. Violator22 macrumors newbie

Head and shoulders above when I took the linux plus test.

15. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

If you don't read the terms you risk being turned into a humancentiPad:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e01-humancentipad

My favorite part of that South Park episode was how upset Steve Jobs kept getting when people wouldn't read the terms and just click accept.

16. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

What I love is how people just HATE change... HATE it! They will bit#$)(* and moan about it right away as if its an "epic fail" (thats so 2 years ago) then in about 3 weeks its the best thing since sliced bread.

People need to chill a bit and try things before they complain. I know... that will never EVER change as long as there are stupid human beings (majority) but oh well...

Lion wasn't a huge earth shattering update IMHO but I'm not going to belly ache about changes that have options and work-arounds. I swear some people don't even know how to use Google before they break out their whining.

The sad thing about Apple's success as we're getting more and more idiot whiners trying OS X and acting like children 2 seconds into a new release. <sigh>

If you are going to complain do it about real issues with the OS, not things that are new or have options or settings that easily work around... or things you simply don't *have* to use if you don't want too.