Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
As in saving all of your homeworks, tests, notes, etc?

I notice i did this with university work as I never knew when I would need to come back to it again.

Just curious, do you hold onto your old stuff?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It depends. I never saw a reason to keep typical homework assignments or worksheets but notes, labs, and special projects can be very useful later.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I remember when the school year ended, some of my classmates in the AP bio class joyfully destroyed their notes. I er, recycled mine. :eek: Definitely didn't seem as satisfying but I'd have felt guilty burning them or cutting them up, or whatnot.

My mom (and I) have kept some random bits and pieces, though. Short (or longer) stories I'd written. Poems. I've kept some literary papers. Artsy projects. But for the most part, I've gotten rid of the vast majority of my schoolwork.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I was told by most of my teachers that keeping records would be valuable, even if the vast bulk of them would never be needed again.

That said, I've slowly gotten rid of some high school stuff as time goes on, but I intend to keep all of my college stuff for a very long time. Every syllabus, every midterm and final, every paper, all of it in a gigantic drawer.

I'll probably never have to look at the stuff again after graduation, but there's no harm in keep some records just in case the unthinkable happens (which through various horror stories I've heard, have happened).

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I make copy's and sell them... Pretty good profit, believe it or not.

That's what I was thinking of doing with my work. In class, I copy my work as neat as I can with black ink so that it photocopies properly. I normally keep my work for all those topic tests and exams. I still have work from Kindergarten; even though it won't help me with exams, it brings good memories. :rolleyes:

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
i've kept a lot of papers over the years, and throw a lot out as time goes by, but keeping a lot of the notes.

i thought about law school, but then came back to science, and having those gen chem, o-chem, etc. notes to study were valuable

just in case the unthinkable happens (which through various horror stories I've heard, have happened).

can you tell us what happened?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
No.

I don't like being weighed down by my possessions, I can carry everything I own and that's by choice not because I'm particularly poor.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hhmm i tend to keep mine, rather, my mum does! she has a lot of my high school work stashed away somewhere for my brother for things such as assignments yada yada.

i have been saving my Uni notes and study notes because, well, its the smart thing to do!!

BarryW

macrumors member
I kept my university notes, thought they may be useful someday.
At the moment they are boxed and gathering dust. Doubt I will ever throw them away, too much blood sweat and tears went into their creation.

School stuff, threw it all away.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I have kept most of my big assignments, meaning basically anythign over 10 pages. I also kept the things that will relate to my job which I actually have gone back to several times. Granted my assignments from the first two years of college are gone because my PC crashed several times and I've given up on it. Everything that has been done on my Mac though I still have as well as some paper copies of big assignments with the Prof. comments on them. They're nice to have since two of them are 15+ page papers on the Crusades which I spent too much time researching to just toss away.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
As in saving all of your homeworks, tests, notes, etc?

I notice i did this with university work as I never knew when I would need to come back to it again.

Just curious, do you hold onto your old stuff?

I only keep the books and notes from the degree or trade/professional school I am in, with some exceptions.

HS stuff is all gone, as is anything before that time.

Junior college stuff is gone except for some recent texts that are computer repair and computer programming related if they are fairly current, but when outdated, they get recycled.

University stuff is all gone.

Business graduate stuff is all gone.

I may keep my law school texts, but if no relation to the bar, or to law practice, as most people say, then I will donate them to the next class as is the tradition.

I admit to keeping stuff that I never officially studied, like my physics stuff and theological stuff, but I did a couple of semesters in an unaccredited bible college which only distributed knowledge, and not diplomas, and it turned out to be more beneficial than the standard HS/college training I had, though latter were "accredited/recognized".

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I was told by most of my teachers that keeping records would be valuable, even if the vast bulk of them would never be needed again.

That said, I've slowly gotten rid of some high school stuff as time goes on, but I intend to keep all of my college stuff for a very long time. Every syllabus, every midterm and final, every paper, all of it in a gigantic drawer.

1) lol ... do your teachers live in mansions? let me explain :)

2) I did have every syllabus, every paper, and all that college and grad school junk I saved for 2-17 years, depending on what degree program I was in at the time and then I got married and had to slim down on my possessions. Luckily I studied business/english/art/art administration/computer science/labor-employment law so it was just paper and books so I could recycle it, except for the art which I gave away but for two pieces. My wife studied art, and due to the sheer bulk of material anybody would retain after 5 years of art school, she got rid of most of it. Could you imagine keeping all your 3-D art and sculptures? I knew one student who built a 15' by 15' foot sculpture in 3-D art class, but our teacher mentioned some people, in his MFA programs built walk in art where it took up a whole room. Those are what you call installation pieces. One artist used up an entire small island and the art piece could only be viewed from an airplane.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I still have the papers I wrote for my business classes, and my assignments for my design work, but only in electronic form (except for a handful of the major design projects). I have contemplated several times about trashing them...but something stops me. I don't know what that something is.

I've been out of college for 5 years, to give some reference.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I've been out of college for 5 years, to give some reference.

I am not advocating this, but keep "some" stuff for 20 years, and when you look back at it, it will be a freakin' time capsule. I did find something that survived the recycler, and it was a notebook from a political science class I had from 1982, and it talked about the solid democratic south, especially in the house and senate. At that time, Reagan had won the white house from most states including most of the south, but with very short coat tails, meaning southerners, and just about everybody else in the USA, still put democratic senators and congress people in to keep Reagan hogtied. :)

Hmm, US President who had took southern states but has no backing in Congress as individual constituencies don't like local GOP politicians, oh yeah, 2006 also. :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I make copy's and sell them... Pretty good profit, believe it or not.
It's also unethical to do, believe it or not. ;)
can you tell us what happened?

One of the stories I heard was of a college transcript that had changed itself (well not literally of course :p) over time, such that when the student applied for law/med/grad school, the grades didn't match their records.

Clerical errors can happen from time to time I suppose, but having some of your paperwork to prove what grade you earned can really help in times like that.

Then again, it may have only been an urban legend, since teachers have a tendency to preach saving all of one's work, even if that isn't always practical.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
two years out of college and i still have all of my college notes in a large bin and intend to keep it that way for some time. i have all of my big high school projects and ap notes saved elsewhere as well. my computer files go back to jr. high on my backup harddrive, although i'll probably not be using them again, but it's not taking up much space, so i let it stay.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
All my work was either on paper or on the school network, I have burned the paper and I guess the school have removed my work now.

I have hated & still do hate schools.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've got my more important school/college/uni stuff stored away, but most of it got binned a couple of years ago. Got all my school reports still.

Ah! But digital work is all saved. Even got a couple of floppy disks from school (1997-02ish). Now digital stuff I never delete.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Took pictures of the good models, then trashed those. Too much of a PITA to cart around.

Saved most of the books, in fact many of them are sitting on the shelf above my desk at work right now. Have most of the papers in electronic form. Purged a lot of the stuff that gets outdated fast, as certain things tend to in my industry. Still have all my sketchbooks and a lot of the drawings I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.