did Parallels Desktop clutter my whole system? (pics inside)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MFKitten, Sep 28, 2008.

1. MFKitten macrumors newbie

i installed Parallels Desktop, and via that, Windows XP today, just to try it out, and after a while, all these files were popping up all over my mac. ALL folders has a ".DS_store" file now, and lots of folders have lots of other files as well. my "macintosh HD" folder is STUFFED TO THE BRIM of these weird files, and they´re semi-transparent as well. i can´t for the life of me figure out what program uses it, but i´m currently suspecting Parallels Desktop.

my "Macintosh HD" directory
    [​IMG]

the images speak for themselves, i think...
    [​IMG]

applications folder
    [​IMG]

and just to show that every subfolder, even those non-system-related, have these files:
    [​IMG]

can someone PLEASE help me get rid of these things? if these are "hidden files" that have been "un-hidden", please god help me hide them again!

i tried deleting some of the files, and my whole mac froze up, and wouldn´t boot os x. i had to reinstall leopard (keeping settings and files etc though!) to fix it. so i kinda think they´re system related as well, but why are they here!?

2. Gex macrumors member

I don't think you have to worry... Those are files you find on every Mac.. for instance, DS_Store files are created by the spotlight search in OS X.. But you are not supposed to see them unless you have chosen to view hidden files or something

Anyways, its nothing to really worry about :)

3. MFKitten thread starter macrumors newbie

well, that´s nice. now, how do i stop seeing them? :p

they annoy me!

4. Gex macrumors member

5. MFKitten thread starter macrumors newbie

i just found that same site, and performed the fix. but thanks anyways!

what a relief :p

it seems a freeze and a restart of finder made that command "yes" instead of "no", making hidden files visible. quite annoying, and i thought my computer had been infested with annoying stuff! :p

again, what a relief! :p

6. Gex macrumors member