Did reinstalling Leopard help with performance?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleCandidate, Oct 31, 2007.

?

What were the results of Leopard's second installation?

1. Everything now works as perfect as Tiger

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Some major improvements, but not as good as Tiger

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Minor improvements only

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. No improvement at all

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. AppleCandidate macrumors member

Please comment on the system you used for your first installation and what you did in the second installation, as well as your specs.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Wait... whats the point of reinstalling? Gaining HDD space back or what? And are you talking about new computers or upgrades?

3. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

Well, Leopards' performance graphically (expose, spaces, dock, etc.) and its slow response on some stuff is widely discussed in this forum, so many people are opting for reinstalling it to see if that helps.

As you know you can install Leopard through various methods (upgrade, archive and install, erase and install). The purpose of this poll is to help those of us that are debating whether this is a road worth pursuing.

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I haven't tried reinstalling, but my first installation was a format and clean install, and the performance on my iBook is now pretty bad. After closing the lid, it now takes 30 seconds to a minute to go into sleep mode. With Tiger, this was instantaneous.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

My system runs faster then in 10.5 I love it.

6. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

i archived and installed first time. booted in and made an immediate time machine backup. played around for 24 hours with the archive and install and noticed that certain things mainly graphic wise- the dock, finder windows (more than graphics maybe on finder), etc. were sort of choppy. also had some apps like mail and safari hang.

i've only had this imac (the white one, one of the last before the aluminum hit the shelves) since july when i bought it at the sherman oaks store brand new. so i thought an archiv would be fine for me.

not satisfied with the choppiness, i did an erase and install and immediately noticed a big difference. FWIW i used migration utility to reimport my network/ mail setting in and my apps from my time machine backup i had made earlier. the graphics choppiness disappeared and the system is very responsive. much more than it was with the archive and install.

i really like leopard. of course there are a few issues, but i can see that the minor issues i have are/ or should be easily remedied with future updates. which i hope are released quickly.