Did Snow Leopard break Apple Mail w/ GMail IMAP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blakadher, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Blakadher macrumors newbie

Ever since upgrading to Snow Leopard and using Apple Mail, I have been getting the following error after a day or so of use: "Account exceeded bandwidth limits." Eventually I am able to access GMail via IMAP with Apple Mail, but only for about a day before this error occurs again. This doesn't affect my access to GMail via the web interface. Nothing has changed with my use of GMail since before the Snow Leopard upgrade and I've seen scattered reports of this on the 'net, but nothing that nails down a solid connection between the Snow Leopard upgrade and this error.

2. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've been using SL Mail with Gmail and Google Apps Mail and things seem to be working correctly.

3. ravikc Guest

had this same problem with imap/gmail/snow leopard

altho since 10.6.1 - problem seems to be solved

4. Blakadher thread starter macrumors newbie

Still happening daily for me even with 10.6.1.

5. Kmad86 macrumors member

I am having the same problem. Even my iPhone is acting up now. It tells me "The User name or password is incorrect" which isn't so. I log into their site just fine.

Really frustrating that a new updated OS always gives you problems.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Works perfect since 10.6.0. I did a clean install, did the people with problems do the same?

7. simpleleap macrumors newbie

Try deleting the account altogether, and inputting it again to see if that works. I had the same issue and that was a fix, though that doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

8. Blakadher thread starter macrumors newbie

Oddly enough, today it started working normally again. That is, I got locked out earlier this morning with the old "Account exceeded bandwidth limits" message, but now it's working and I didn't have to wait the customary 24 hours. I did not change anything at all (in fact, I haven't changed anything this whole time that I've been experiencing the issue since it always just worked before). I really think there may have been an issue with GMail and the way labels are handled with regards to IMAP (I have a ton of labels and I think IMAP was synchronizing each message multiple times depending on how many labels were applied to it). That's just a SWAG, but it appears that if there was a problem, Google has figured it out and resolved it.

9. paulcone macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say Google (or Apple) has resolved it

because I started getting this error this afternoon (first on the iPhone and then in Mail), and I'm still getting it.

10. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

That's interesting. I have ~20 labels and 32000+ messages in my setup -- though it's a Google Apps setup (paid) which probably makes a difference. My personal Gmail is 14 labels and 12000+ messages (which is still pretty high I guess).

11. mwhdvm macrumors newbie

It's got to be Snow Leopard

Numerous other posts on the Gmail help pages are ALL Snow Leopard users using Apple Mail who never had this problem before. It appears to be an Apple problem - not Gmail. I just desperately want a fix. This is very annoying!:eek:

I'm able to send (via Apple Mail) when this error comes up, just not "receive". I can read all my messages on the web interface without issue.

12. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I think your problem might be slightly different to the thread starters. If you have mobile me setup to sync mail settings then try deactivating that and then deactivate and activate all Mail and iPhone accounts. This might fix your problems if your using imap.

For me Gmail imap is fine on 10.6.1 and my iPhone.

13. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Hmm... My multiple GMail accounts have been fine...

14. mattsutte macrumors newbie

still locked out

this is day 11 of being locked out of my email on my mac book.

my iphone can check mail for about 2 or 3 hours every 2 days, and then it gets locked out too.

i've tried reading every forum online about this and tried all of the ideas suggested on said forums but to no avail.

anyone have any advice?

thanks,
    g

15. krunkosaurus macrumors newbie

Hi,

This just happened to be after upgrading to Snow Leopard, too!
    It's such a pain in the ass!

I have 4 email accounts in my mail.app 3 gmail and 1 mobile me. 2 of the gmail accounts I use every day are getting the "account exceeded bandwith limits", the mobile me and the other gmail account I rarely use are working fine.

I tried removing one of the bad gmail accounts and recreating it but no cigar.

If anybody knows a trick (deleting all our precious labels?) let me know!

Thanks,

Mauvis

16. Blakadher thread starter macrumors newbie

Not again

Well, shoot...after nearly a month of flawless email service, I have started getting the "Account exceeded bandwidth limits" error again.