Did Snow Leopard change SMC settings?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cababah, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cababah macrumors 68000

I did not have to use smc fan control earlier but ever since 10.6, it seems my notebook does not ramp up the fans until 90C or even higher. In 10.5 I would see the fans to start coming on when the temp got in the 80C range.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I was converting a movie to my iPhone using Quicktime X last night and I saw the temp get to 100C before the fans ramped up and stayed at about 6200rpm. I hate to make another cpu temperature thread, but I am trying to see if Snow Leopard had any impact on SMC settings.

(I also did a SMC reset after installing SL and the effects are the same with the fan speed not coming on sooner) I guess now is the time to get the program to control my fan speed. Just sucks that Apple themselves cannot control their own temps and we have to get 3rd party help :mad:

2. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

3. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I tried that right before I did the SMC reset and still had the same results.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

100C? Maybe something is wrong with the sensor but that's way too hot..

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Know the feeling. For fan speed control, install smcFanControl v2.2.2, which is Snow Leopard-compatible and works great:

http://www.eidac.de/

My mid-2007 C2D MBP normally idles at about 55 deg C in Snow Leopard and when apps gets a little busy, hits about 80 degrees. When it's really busy with something processor-intensive, hits about 100. That's about as high as I've seen it go and doesn't normally hit 100 because of the way I use the MBP.

7. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I did. I was bored and figured it might get me a response.
    I don't know but it has been doing this only after 10.6 which lead me to think it had something to do with the OS.

*sigh* Yeah I guess I will install that program.

Attached Files:

• Temp.jpg
      Temp.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  8. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Something isn't right, you should have 2 exhaust fans in the MBP. Maybe you should take it in.

9. melllvar macrumors regular

Not in the 13"

10. kolax macrumors G3

Download Fan Control 1.2 and adjust the lower and upper threshold to suit what speed the fan should spin at what temperatures.

11. charlesb80 macrumors newbie

This is almost identical to what I am seeing on my new 13" MBP. I just called Apple support and they tell me it is normal and that it is within the operating range.

Let's just hope that they quietly release an SMC update to counter this problem!

12. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

blah i forget theres a 13" mbp..