Did Some comparison Listening

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Scarpad, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Between Apple, Amazon and Xbox (Soon Groove) music, used various headphones thru my 6 Plus and the Winner goes to Apple with the Best sounding Streaming music by a large amount, it's definitely more full and robust than the compitition. I would say the 2nd best was Xbox Music with Amazon pulling up the rear, their streaming tunes just sound lifeless, I think they are still streaming in MP3 and it shows.

Anyone else have a listening opinion ?

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

Yes. Streaming with Apple's iOS Music App in iOS 9 Betas with the "High Quality on Cellular" option turned on.

It rates a "Holy Crap!" in my book.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd imagine it's 256kbps AAC, which is audibly indistinguishable to uncompressed while listening to most music.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I couldn't offer a guess as to what the streaming rate or codec is. I can, however, offer that I've been listening to my music over cellular and Amazon Music - and it was generally pretty good IMO. I'm not an audiophile, having been to 10 or 40 too many concerts over the last 35 years, but I am pretty particular about my music quality.

Having to travel, I was a bit stunned at how the new setting upped the quality of what I was listening to. Not as good as the ALAC files I have on my Macs but far better than what I've been listening to. I'd listened to several songs with my Grado SR325e and Beyerdynamic T51i cans and Yamaha studio monitors - and noticed that my cellular connection (VZW LTE) was spinning to keep up. I demoed Tidal a few weeks ago, and this is better...