Did some one send me spyware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2greencats, Aug 19, 2008.

1. 2greencats macrumors newbie

Well ive always been usuing a macbook intel and latley i been developing a paranoia of getting a mac keylogger that I accidenlty download etc... anyways I notticed a considerable amount of windows ppls msn programs have viruses that send files or links to other people on their lists anyways a friend of mine said he was going to send me a picture but never did... so today that person signed on and sent me a file called photo.zip and i downloaded it and the person signed off right away.. anyways i opened the file and it contained a unix executable file that I could not open... i tried changing the file ext. to .jpg .eps and even tried opening it in ps and illustrator and couldent open it. I dunno but for some reason its odd for this person to send me a weird file like this... so is this a key logger or some type of spyware or am i just paranoid? Please some one download the photo.zip file my friend or so called friend sent me earlier and tell me if its anything to worry about for those of you that know how to check these things. I greatly appreciate your help..

p.s. I have alot of sensitive info on my comp and I would like to keep it safe im unsure if mac needs a firewall or not and have not heard much of it and if you guys can please tell me if its possible to get infected with spyware if you download a file on file sharing websights/programs on a mac and or if some one manually sends the thing to ya. If its possible how do I fight against this and how do I find out of my comp is being spyed on already and how do i keep my comp safe. Thanks for your time and sorry for the paranoia lol... Peace n love to u all

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a suggestion: If you suspect that something you downloaded is malware, DON'T attach it to a post in the forums, where someone else could get the same problem!

There are no viruses that run on a Mac, but yes, if you accept a file you don't recognize from a source you don't trust, then install it, you can be installing malware of some sort. In most cases, you'll have to enter your administrator password for an installation to complete, but it's wiser to just delete the file.

3. 2greencats thread starter macrumors newbie

ah always in order to install something on a mac it will always ask for your admin password? im guessing it cant install secretly like on a window comp? ty for ur post gg

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have to remember there are lots of "newbies" in these forums who wouldn't know better and would download something they don't understand. I recommend you edit your post and remove the attachment.

As I said:

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's a Windows app and is most likely "badware". It hooks until several DLLs and appears to set itself up to monitor various system folders.

6. 2greencats thread starter macrumors newbie

well alrighty then I removed the attachment thanks for ur help... "in most cases" still makes me a lil paranoid but o well i guess tomorrow ill just go buy a cd of leopard and do a fresh install and kill paranoia that way.... thanks for ya time dude i appreciate it