Did something Fry?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by avingochea, Apr 16, 2010.

1. avingochea macrumors member

I bought the "newertechnology Universal Drive Adapter" and I connected a hdd to it, and the power supply to the hdd, and do the little hdd adapter that comes with the newertech universal hdd kit. But RIGHT when I connected the usb cable to my computer, it made some kind of sound like... something might have gotten fried, and at the same time the computer shut down, and the fans were spinning at full speed, making dust fly all over the place. So I disconnected the usb cable, and the computer stated up again about 5 seconds later, but the fans were still going at full speed. It started up... fineish. My bluetooth keyboard and mouse wouldn't connect, and normally they connect pretty quick, I restarted the computer and the same thing, they wouldn't connect, and the fan has been hauling ass this whole time. I shut down the computer, and let it sit for about 2 min, turned it back on.. and everything started working right, and the fans were quiet again, does somebody know if I fried something in my computer? Is there a way I can check? Everything seems to be working normal now... but that noise it made when I connected the usb cable still worries me... Thanks.

P.S. I have a macpro, info is in my sig

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest to run the Hardware Diagnostics Tests from your 2nd install disk, and/or bring it to an Apple Hardware Service provider for a quick check. Also check the log files for anything abnormal at the time of the incident.

I quite don't understand the way you connected the drive to the newertech adapter... I have one of those, and the connection is pretty straightforward: the IDE/Sata data cable and power to the drive, the adapter's power to the wall, and the USB to the computer. Does the drive you were attempting to connect still work? were you using the adapter's original cables? perhaps it was the adapter which got fried...

cheers!

3. avingochea thread starter macrumors member

I connected the SATA cable to the adapter and to the hdd, the power cable to the little power cable adapter, and from the power cable adapter to the hdd aswell. But from that power cable adapter there is a little power cable sticking out of it that connects to the newertech adapter, I connected that aswell... after what happened I refered back to the book that came with it and noticed that, that little power cable shouldn't be connected to the hdd adapter when connecting to a SATA hdd... Does that make sense?

I don't have the second cd, I bought the snow leopard cd though, that should have it right? And the nearest Apple store is 3 hours from here, so I don't think thats an option I can do soon.

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

that's it - that's the problem... it totally makes sense since you're connecting it wrong. See the attached instructions.

about the hardware diagnostics, I meant the original disks that came with your computer. The Snow Leopard disk does not include it, since every computer ships with a specific test software for its hardware. If you don't have the original install disks any more for whatever reason, I'd suggest you get them from Apple Support - you never know when you'll need them. It's always important to keep all original disks that came with your computer - even when you change the OS. If you purchased Apple Care, getting them shouldn't be a problem. If you don't, I guess Apple will charge you some money for the replacement (around $10 or $20 usd?).

Once you have the 2nd install disk, insert it in the optical drive and boot from it (by pressing the D key while starting up). The instructions to run the tests are very simple.

Attached Files:

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apple Hardware Test is one either disk 1 (10.5.4 or earlier) or disk 2 (10.5.5 or later) of the ORIGINAL disks that shipped with you're computer. I'm not sure if it comes on a Retail or Upgrade copy of SL though. Here's the AHT page from Apple that covers where to find it, and how to use it.

There is a more comprehensive disk, but it's supposed to be for Apple personnel ONLY, called the Apple Service Diagnostic Disk/CD (latest version is 2.5.8 AFAIK). I didn't find a download copy available, but someone here on the forum might have a copy they'll upload for you if you ask nicely. :)

Also, two other notes:
    1. BT keyboards and mice won't work, so you'll need a USB keyboard at least to run it.

2. Pull the newertech device all together, and do a SMC reset and see if that helps (particularly with the fans).

Good luck, and I hope this helps. :)

6. avingochea thread starter macrumors member

Ok, well thanks a lot guys! I'll try to order those discs from Apple tomorrow when I get back into town. I really appreciate your guys' help!!