did sync with laptop now contacts lost

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dispatch2u, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dispatch2u macrumors newbie

i am hoping that someone can help me before I throw this $400 phone in to the trash can! First, I will be honest and up front and let everyone know that I know NOTHING about computers...NOTHING. So, i have an iphone with mobile me and I plugged the phone in to my laptop (which runs Microsoft Vista) and now all 200+ contacts are gone!!! AAHHH...can someone please tell me that they know of a majic button that will help me recover all of my lost info! I would GREATLY appreciate it!!! :eek:

2. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

6 yes/no questions...

1.) Before the sync, were the contacts
    a) on the iPhone?
    b) on your computer (Outlook, etc)?
    c) on MobileMe (me.com)?

2.) After the sync, are the contacts
    a) on the iPhone?
    b) on your computer (Outlook, etc)?
    c) on MobileMe (me.com)?

I think once we understand these 6 yes/no questions we can provide better advice.

Basically, you must have configured iTunes to remove the contacts. (Keep in mind computers only do what we humans tell them to...). However if you still have a copy of the contacts somewhere you can simply chance your configuration settings and re-sync.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm going to assume you backed up your phone previously. Your magic button is to restore from the backup. You'll get your contacts back that way. The reason you lost your contacts is you have them set to sync to something (Outlook or Address Book), which has no contacts, so it assumed you wanted no contacts and you didn't select merge when asked. After the restore, sync again, and this time merge.