Did Taxes on iPad...very easy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jsmith1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. jsmith1 macrumors regular

Got the TurboTax 2011 app and did my taxes on the iPad 1 in about 20 minutes, very easy(even for me).

Thought it was cool that I didn't have to wait till I got home from work, but filed my taxes during lunch.:) Should be DD in about 7-10 days.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

About to do the same today .... :D

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

do you print from the iPad or send a PDF via email to print?

I thought I had to print something last year (on the Mac) but maybe that was when i freelanced.

It seemed silly I could submit e-file but still had to send something

4. jsmith1 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't even print, just saved a pdf to pdf pro, but it also lets you save file to itunes for easy saving and syncing if needed.

Already got confirmation email that it was accepted by IRS:)

Didn't require that I send anything else.

5. Teachbizz macrumors newbie

First time doing taxes ever ipad2/turbo tax simply amazes

Like the title states, doing taxes on the iPad 2 with turbo tax 2011 is a no-brainer and so easy you cant mess it up. I did my taxes in about 30 minutes, both were accepted by the govt the very next day and the monies are scheduled to DD in 7 days. Holla!

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yeah, it's always easy if you file a 1040ez. If you have multiple itemizations, not so easy.

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

IF not for the join date, I would be quick to ignore this post as a shameless plug by the creators of said app themselves...:p

8. henchman macrumors 6502a

Do yourself a favor.
    Use a proper accountant.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Why? So he can waste more money in doing something he can do himself in under 20 minutes?

10. jsmith1 thread starter macrumors regular

I do myself favors all the time, this favor just happened to be using a fast digital accountant that cost me very little in time and money....seemed to be a no brainer favor for myself.

In fact, I thought it was such a good favor that I thought I'd share for others that might need a good favor as well.

Thanks!

11. henchman macrumors 6502a

Depending on your situation, a proper accountant can usually get you a much higher return.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I wish I COULD do my company's taxes on the iPad but my CPA would badly miss the $2400

13. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Only if you have a complicated return with many deductions.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Exactly. As much as I use my iPad for (which is essentially everything, see my signature) I outsource taxes to my accountant due to the complexity of my returns. They're very thick (TWSS).

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

What app can i use to check the status of my return

The IRSTOGO app has not been updated for 2011

16. henchman macrumors 6502a

my wife's mother was retired, and had pretty simple taxes.
    My wife's sister, who worked at a bank for years, did her taxes, and she always owed.
    My wife took over, went to an accountant, and he ended up going back 3 years, and got a bunch of money back for her.

Try it sometime instead of HR blck or using Turbotax.

17. Tomacorno macrumors regular

Proper Accountant?

Would that mean going to a tax service such as H&R Block? I have always done my own taxes but this year there are complications.

18. henchman macrumors 6502a

No.
    Find yourself a proper accountant.
    Ask around, that's what I did.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Many people do not need this if they don't own a home, aren't paying on any interest bearing loans that would otherwise be considered a deduction, earn income as a wage earner from one job, etc. An accountant is wasted on people who can file a 1040ez.

From a former IRS Agent (not me but my buddy), if you must go to H&R Block go to an office that is a year-round office. The seasonal offices have seasonal people in there filing your taxes for you. Many of them took the quick course from H&R Block and aren't well versed in tax law. If you believe you have a complication this year go to a professional. That $300 could possibly save you a large balance due or provide you a larger refund.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I do my kids tax returns this way, but no way I cold do mine...

21. haze macrumors regular

So, if I have one job, no debt, no loans, no mortgage, etc. what exactly would one of these fancy accountants do for me besides take my money?

22. Ieo macrumors 6502

I really don't see how an accountant is necessary in ALL situations. Me for example....I have a standard W2, a 1098T, and a 1098E. That's IT. I plug it in and go. How would spending half of my return on a CPA do me any good?

23. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nothing. You can find out for yourself but even when I was renting, was a wage earner (W2) and had no loans to repay outside of consumer credit (credit cards) I owed. I went to an accountant for help and he wound up finding out that I owed just as much as Turbo Tax told me and more because I filed head of household or something. So I owed more, paid him ($375) and still had empty pockets.

Tax accountants have their place and it is widespread; however, they're not necessary for everyone. Their time is better spent (any upstanding accountant will tell you this or should) doing the taxes for people who really need their help and expertise in tax law.

25. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'd like to propose a truce since we're wandering further from the iPad subject.

Just like with car repair - sometimes the problem isn't complex and you can fix it yourself, sometimes you need a professional. Same with taxes.