iPad Did the 2GB RAM solve the Safari reloading issue on the iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Dec 4, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Has anybody done a side-by-side comparison between Air 1 and Air 2? Is the Air 2 able to handle more tabs without reloading when switching between apps/tabs?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes and no. You can have more tabs opened than before but safari still needs work on memory management and all that. It seems to depend on what sites you hit too. Certain sites tax the RAM more than others.

Overall though? Absolutely an improvement.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is the sole reason I am going to cave and buy one today. I use my tablet as my only "computer" and the constant reloads drive me crazy!

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, it is much improved. I find I can keep about 5-6 tabs open for some relatively long period of time before they start reloading. That was good enough for a while, but I quickly switched back to Mercury browser which I've been using for a couple of years now. It can typically hold ~10 tabs open for multiple days or more.

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

So basically you mean yes. There is no "no." All that memory management mumbo jumbo can be said of any app or browser on any operating system (both iOS and Android).

As for the OP, yes it is completely fixed. I can have 7 or 8 tabs opened for days with no reload. This is coming from someone who almost exclusively uses their iPad for web browsing since the original iPad came out.

6. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

7. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Really? I noticed it right away even in the Apple Store. I could make my Air reload within minutes. Was able to get the Air 2 tabs static even after playing with it 15 mins and then a 10 min lecture from a bearded hipped genius.

If it can last through that, lol. And having had it a week now, completely fixed from my perspective.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The 2GB of RAM is noticeable everywhere. With my mini 2, I would be watching a video through the YouTube app and go to look something up in Safari. As soon as a page would load, the video would be written out of RAM and I would have to go back and find my spot. This is no longer the case. I could even navigate to few different webpages, open two new tabs and go back to the YouTube app without it loosing my place. Same goes for Netflix and Hulu watching.

With 2GB of RAM, browsing is much better then any of my other devices (including my laptop) and I find myself favoring my iPad a lot more then I used to.

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Sure, yes is the answer. But, many of us never had any real trouble with our Air. Like me.

Yes though. :D

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. I have a mini 2, and as soon as I started using the Air 2 I was shocked at the difference.

11. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

And those that did should be ignored, all in the interests of keeping complaints about apple to only those "fringe" apple haters, right?

Well s2mikey, you'll have your wish come true.

Apple had to replace my old Air because of a graphics issue. The display flickered quite often when the device was rendering something while having to sync back to the source for additional information. For example, a web page that loads ads,videos, etc... After the initial page started rendering. Or when a game had to sync back to its mothership to get additional information. To apple's credit, they did replace it, though it didn't happen every time. Sometimes it would take 15 minutes to,get it to happen one time, but when it does, it would flicker 10+ times in a row in very quickly.

Anyway, I just got it back and will have devote some time to put it through its paces to see if I "had a bad RAM" unit, or if it' just the way the Air is.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not at all! I believe you guys and always have. My issue is that this did not affect everyone equally so therefore it wasn't fair to make it seem like it did. Me and others believe there is more to this issue than the physical amount of RAM. That's all.

Hope you're new unit works out for you.

13. Dionte macrumors 6502a

It's a whole new world. Makes my iPhone 6 plus feel slow.

14. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755