Did the 4 have as many complaints as 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gloryunited, Oct 24, 2011.

1. gloryunited macrumors 6502

I was not here when the 4 was released last year so I'm wondering if it's normal that the 4S (coupled with iOS5) got so many problems/complaints.

I am thinking about the 4S so these complaints/reports kind of put me on the fence. :p

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes. Every iPhone brings new weirdness. iPhone 4 had an antena issue, which I believe truly did exist. Every iPhone has had the yellow screen issue which I am not confident is a real issue. There were yellow spots on some phones ... probably a real issue. Bezel and glass alignment issues ... etc etc.

Every phone will bring out the crazies. Whether the issues are real or widespread always remain to be seen.

3. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Yes... lol - but we still love the iPhone

ie: Yellow screens, home button not working, bad battery life, camera rattling, sleep/wake button rattling... etc... so on and so on.

4. tourada macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes. It was 'antenna gate' with the 4 and the famous death grip. Basically, if you held the phone a certain way (normally for most) you would kill your signal. Free bumper cases were given as a result, And the design was slightly changed for the CDMA version.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, as others have mention... yes

But the iPhone 4 didn't have as many satisfied customers as the iPhone 4S because it has sold even more

You may hear a lot of complaining online here
    But what you never hear are the many, many satisfied customers who never feel the need to praise the phone on an online forum

6. gloryunited thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm thinking, so the number of phones sold needs to be taken into account. The % of happy customers is more important, but hard to deduce from the number of complaint threads here.

7. fjrabon macrumors regular

Just for the OP, I have had 0 problems with my iPhone 4S. Perfect screen, after two full cycles I get a day and a half of battery with normal use and a day with 'heavy' use. Siri is awesome and I have only gotten the 'unable to connect' error once and I've probably used it 100+ times (it's awesome for scheduling things). Reception is good (AT&T). The speed is awesome.

Anyway, I am not saying that others aren't really having issues. I'm just saying it's hard to tell what % of iPhones have had these issues. (though some of the battery gate stuff was people just not cycling their phones and calibrating the battery meter properly). Additionally, for any legitimate issues, Apple is generally very good about just giving you a replacement, especially if you notice it right away.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

The phones with the "least amount of complaints" were the "S" version.

The iPhone 2007 had horrible antenna (because of the aluminum back) The iPhone 3G already had reception and weak wifi signals. The 3GS had very minor battery complaints (because the iPhone 2007 and iPhone 3 G were essentially the same phone) so apple finally fixed all their problems.

The iPhone 4 had antenna issues (but in my opinion the proximity sensor issue was much more of an issue).
    The 4S has very little issues (besides the battery issue)

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The 4S is quite good.

The 4 was dreadful since it had a terrible antenna which crippled it's ability to make clear phone calls without dropping. Yet that had no affect on sales. Steve Jobs can sell anything. Slap an Apple logo on it and watch the sales skyrocket.

The new antenna and proper baseband processor in the 4S is worth everything. This one actually works as a phone :)

Wonders never cease.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

iPhone 4S complaints:
    -Batterygate
    -Yellowgate

iPhone 4
    -Antennagate
    -Yellowgate
    -Proximitygate
    -Batterygate
    -Scratch/Shattergate

iPhone 3G/3GS
    -Yellowgate
    -Crackgate

etc etc

Every single hardware/software revision both Mac and iDevice. Someone somewhere is not happy.

11. bdenge macrumors member

I think there were many more problems with the 4 than have been reported with the 4s. No one seems to have had proximity sensor issues with the 4s. (My sister in law had horrible problems with her 4) And I haven't seen it mentioned, but I can take a photo under florescent light without getting the green blob so many people got with the 4.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm pretty sure people were complaining much more last year, especially when Our Lord and Savior said we were holding our phones wrong.

When millions and millions of people own a single product, you're bound to hear much "baseline" or "background" complaining.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's both phones. Happens when you make a glass phone, same as a glass jaw, eventually if you stick it out there it's gonna get KTFO.

14. erasr macrumors 6502

I've had a lot of Apple hardware in my time and the 4S does not have a single complaint from me. It's perfect.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I know but that was the first time so people were complaining. Now they know it comes with the territory. and thus there are fewer complaints.