Did the Apple MessagePad come with a charger?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by JamerTheProgram, Feb 20, 2012.

1. JamerTheProgram macrumors member

Hey!
    I managed to bag a MessagePad last year for 15 quid. Yeah, stupid bargin. No charger though. I have found a site that has them for 35 pounds. It says that it works with MessagePads. Does it have to be a specific model for it to work or....?
    Thanks!
    Also, did they come with a charger? Or did you have to use batteries?

2. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

They take four batteries which can be ordinary disposable ones or rechargeable ones (Apple originally made a battery pack with four rechargeables joined together that fits in there but any of these will most likely be dead by now) - have you tried yours with just normal batteries?

There is also a wall adapter if you don't want to run it off batteries, I'd only use a genuine Newton one as otherwise you might risk damaging the Newton - mine says "Newton Power Adapter" on it and is model number H2200, I have used it with a MessagePad 110 and 120, so try looking for something like that if you need one.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As tdbmoss says, it uses standard alkaline AA (LR6) batteries. Apple made a rechargeable battery pack that dropped in place of the standard batteries, but that is purely optional.

I have one that still holds some charge, and it is convenient, but it doesn't hold MUCH of a charge. (Maybe an hour of use.)