Did the Jail Break cause this? Help me!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by iSchule, Jul 5, 2009.

1. iSchule macrumors member

Okay, well last night my friend Jail Broke my iPod Touch first generation because I wanted to have a wallpaper and the original iPod Touch dock. So Anyway! I wanted the original stuff back so took off the theme and It was working okay. But the dock was all weird and had 5 slots instead of 4..

So I was outside with my friend and I thought oh I might as well try to reset the ipod. So the apple with the little loading bar popped up and it was working but it froze up. So I held the home and power button to shut it off.

So here is the real problem! When ever I turn on the iPod it starts to turn on and I see the apple. But then it just shuts off. iTunes is not detecting it, and it is not charging.

I am screwed because the apple store won't cover it because of my stupidity. But my warranty was done anyway.

So I want to restore and never jail break it again...

What can I do to fix this? Please Help!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You need to force the device into DFU mode, and do a restore in iTunes.

3. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

He speaks the truth. Nothing is unfixable.

4. blackdove macrumors newbie

This is fixable, just do a tethered restart into DFU mode.

Step-by-step:

1) plug your Touch into your computer

2) shut it off completely (hold down the power button until the 'slide to power off' slider appears, then slide it

3) wait a few seconds

4) hold down the power button

5) after 3 seconds, while still holding down the power button, press and hold the home button

6) hold both buttons for about 10-15 seconds

7) now you can restore your firmware via iTunes

Other things aren't fixable, fortunately when I sent my 2nd gen. Touch back to Apple I had not jailbroken it (yet), it just bricked when iTunes crashed while restoring from 2.2.1 back to 2.1.1. They don't boot well with half a firmware installed :) Even Apple could not fix it, they had to give me a replacement Touch.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

First of all, calm down lol.

Follow the instructions as posted earlier on how to restore your iPod Touch. Everything should be peachy and you're iPod Touch will be saved, huzzah!

The 5 icons in the dock is installed from Cydia called 5 Icon Dock. Personally, I find it pretty helpful, because I have five main apps that I use all the time (Phone, Text, Ipod, Safari, Settings). However, that's entirely up to you.

And never say you're screwed. You have to try incredibly hard or be incredibly ignorant/naive in order to seriously brick your iPod Touch or iPhone. Restoring it via DFU mode will always be there to help you in practically all situations. :)

And finally, my last bit of advice. Just because you're iPod Touch had a slight hiccup this one time, doesn't mean it'll happen again in the future. Don't get discouraged because something went wrong, because you can always restore and fix it. Try jailbreaking the iPod Touch again, and hopefully, all will go well and you'll have the added benefits of free apps, customization, etc. Think of the benefits you might get.

However, it is entirely your choice whether or not you want to have a JB iPod Touch or not. Enjoy, and best of luck :D

-Dustin

6. disuse macrumors newbie

The question I have is what happens if you never get the slider? A friend bought an ipod touch (1st gen) knowing it was broken and wanted me to try to fix it... I can get it to go into recovery mode (but the computer never sees it) but can't seem to go into DFU mode. It will charge when plugged in but continues to reset itself... Am really confused :(

7. blackdove macrumors newbie

It's easy to mess up getting into DFU mode, I did it 3 times last night due to tiredness. If you can't get the shutoff slider to show up, one option would be to let the battery drain out completely, but that's not something I personally want to try, because who knows what other problems it could cause.

I believe if you hold down both buttons for long enough, it will do some sort of hardware reset, but not having any way to see what's really going on I can't be positive about it. You might try doing that, then the normal shutdown procedure.

You should be able to use iTunes to do a complete firmware replacement, because it knows how to put an iPhone/iPod Touch into DFU mode without having to shut it down and do all sorts of funky manoevres with the buttons.

That's about all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Good luck,

- bd

8. admiramonia macrumors newbie

it works thnx

9. CanadianEh macrumors member

What version does it restore the itouch to? I recently purchased (about 3 weeks ago) the itouch and loaded it with 3.0 (not through Apple) and now experiencing problems. I want to restore to original (I think 2.2.1). Every time I try to restore, the system thinks it's to 3.0. Thank you.

10. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Check google for the firmware version you want and dl it. take note of where its saved, then when you click restore hold option and it will ask you what file to restore to, then select the firmware version that you downloaded. :)

11. ethical macrumors 68000

Dont let this put you off jail breaking. Most issues are fixable... and there are many benefits of jailbreaking.

12. CanadianEh macrumors member

tried it. got error message 20. I have itunes 9. Do I have to be on itunes 8.1 in order to downgrade to 2.2.1?

13. bshap000 macrumors newbie