Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Hello folks,

I am planning to buy a memory card reader (primarily sd and cf) that is made specifically for a Mac Pro, and I came across this product: http://www.nervian.com/

Right when I was about to bust out my credit card and clicked the Buy Now button on the site, it seems that it has already missed its release date by a year. Has any of you taken an interest in this product?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Hello folks,

I am planning to buy a memory card reader (primarily sd and cf) that is made specifically for a Mac Pro, and I came across this product: http://www.nervian.com/

Right when I was about to bust out my credit card and clicked the Buy Now button on the site, it seems that it has already missed its release date by a year. Has any of you taken an interest in this product?

Never heard of it, but I spent $13 on a Targus USB powered card reader at walmart. Handles all kinds of formats including SDHC and CF. Area wise, it's smaller than a credit card. Very easy to pack with me for use on a laptop. I would recommend something like that over something that takes up so much space and only really looks good on a Mac Pro.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have a transcend multi-card reader already for travel. I was just looking for something stationary for my mac pro, and came across the product. Too bad...:(

I was researching that as well when I was looking for a card reader for my mac pro and from what I found it never came about.

Here was my answer though. Only 25 or so, of course its all for looks! Its a pro-gear g5.
progear-g5.jpg

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Here you can buy it, but its $50 bucks. link

You may want to hold off for a little bit, according to Atech they are coming out with the Pro Gear G5X, although it doesn't say what any differences will be.

If it adds a USB to the front, I will gladly get rid of mine.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I would suggest something with a FireWire connection instead.

Moving 16GB from a CompactFlash card via USB 2.0 is just torture.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I would suggest something with a FireWire connection instead.

Moving 16GB from a CompactFlash card via USB 2.0 is just torture.

I agree, however, to my knowledge no one makes a firewire adapter that accepts both SDHC and CF cards, and I need one that can do both. I don't really mind a non firewire adapter, I'm not a pro event shooter who has to off load numerous cards during an event or something.

The atech looks pretty cool, I will wait to see if they come out with something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.